Smart home gadget maker Wyze has released a firmware update and set of instructions for turning its low-cost security camera into a working webcam at a time when proper webcams from brands like Logitech are increasingly hard to find.
The update, which was released roughly an hour ago on Wyze’s support website, involves manually installing firmware onto your Wyze camera that will temporarily turn it into a webcam, after which it will no longer connect to the Wyze app and function normally. However, Wyze says you can reverse the process to restore security camera access to the device and have it function normally again.
The instructions say you’ll need a Wyze Cam v2, a microSD card, and a USB-A to USB-A cable for transferring the free firmware update from your computer to the camera. According to Wyze, all you need to do is drop the firmware onto the root directory of the memory card, plug the memory card into an unplugged Wyze Cam v2, and then hold the setup button while restarting to flash the firmware onto the camera and reboot it as a webcam.
From there, you should be able to plug the device into your Mac or Windows machine (being careful to use the USB-A port of the device and not the microUSB power port) and manually select it as a third-party HD output video source for applications like BlueJeans, Google Hangouts, Skype, and Zoom, among other providers.
It’s not an elegant solution, and I’m having trouble actually getting it to work on my own Wyze Cam here at home. That may have something to do with only having access to a formatted microSD I use for external storage on my Nintendo Switch. (One solution there might be copying the files off, formatting the card, installing the firmware, and formatting again for the Switch before transferring the files back.)
Regardless, for those in need of a webcam who are having trouble finding one right now due to the COVID pandemic that has office workers worldwide working from home, this could be a solution if you have the necessary gadgets lying around the house.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.
Wyze Security Camera Review: Pan, Outdoor, and v3
Most startups say they’re “disrupting” an industry, but Wyze actually is. With its incredibly affordable cameras costing as little as $36, we got the same great features as other smart security cameras we’ve reviewed, but at a fraction of the price.
For this review, we tested out the Wyze Cam, the Wyze Cam Pan, and the Wyze Cam Outdoor. Which one is right for you? Read on to find out, or watch our video reviews below.
Quick Price Comparison
|Wyze Cam Pan||$38|
|Wyze Cam Outdoor||$60|
Wyze Camera Video Reviews
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so how many words is a video worth? Well, whatever that number is, double it because we’ve made two videos of the Wyze Cam and the Wyze Cam Pan, so you can see their day and night vision for yourself.
Wyze Cam Video Review
The Wyze Cam has nearly all of the features we’ve come to expect from a smart security camera with p HD video, two-way audio, and infrared night vision. Check it out!
Wyze Cam Pan Video Review
The Wyze Cam Pan is basically the Wyze Cam with tilting and panning abilities, and it only costs about two dollars more. We loved seeing our entire living room by panning this camera around degrees! See it for yourself.
Three Affordable Cameras
|Wyze Cam v3||Wyze Cam Pan||Wyze Cam Outdoor|
|Video quality||p HD||p HD||p HD|
|Number of times it can zoom in digitally||8||8||8|
|Field of view in degrees|
|Number of infrared LED sensors||4||6||8|
|Smart platform integrations||Alexa, IFTTT, Google Assistant||Alexa, IFTTT, Google Assistant||Alexa, IFTTT, Google Assistant|
|Artificial intelligence||Smart sound recognition for smoke/CO alarms, person detection with Cam Plus||Smart sound recognition for smoke/CO alarms, person detection with Cam Plus||Smart sound recognition for smoke/CO alarms, person detection with Cam Plus|
|Extras||Activity zones||Activity zones||Activity zones|
As you can see from the above chart, the Wyze Cam, Wyze Cam Pan, and Wyze Cam Outdoor are pretty similar. The Pan costs just two dollars more, while the Outdoor is $24 more. We got a camera for all our needs and we did it without breaking the bank.
First, let’s talk about what the cameras had in common when we tested them out.
- Video quality: All three cameras had that p HD video that we’re looking for, which made us feel at home even when we were simply staring at the Wyze app. While there’s no place like home, the footage from the Wyze cameras was pretty darn close.
- Zoom: When we wanted to zoom in on details while we were creeping from the Wyze app, we did so eight times with all the cameras. This really came in handy when we wanted to see what our families were watching on TV, especially when we discovered a family member continuing a show without us. Rats!
- Two-way audio: When we wanted to call out this alleged family member, we did so right through the Wyze app thanks to the cameras’ speakers and microphones. “You said you were going to wait for us to finish 30 Rock!” we screamed, causing our family member to jump in her seat. You know what they say about karma.
- Storage: When we wanted to laugh about this footage of our family member jumping in her seat, the video was saved to cloud storage automatically, where it remained for 14 days. But since both cameras uploaded the footage to their micro-SD cards as well, we made sure to save these files on our computers so we could laugh at the video for years to come.
We love that Wyze gave us local and cloud storage for free; with Ring camera subscriptions, there’s no local storage, and 60 days of cloud storage costs at least $3 a month or $30 a year. Not terrible prices, but you can’t beat free.
- Smart platform integrations: We admit it: part of our affinity for smart home technology comes from the fact that we don’t like to leave our beds unless we’re practically forced to. That’s why controlling our Wyze cameras with Alexa and Google Assistant was so much fun.
From having Alexa show our living room live stream on our Echo Show to telling Google Assistant to show us our front yard on the Nest Hub Max, controlling our cameras didn’t require our hands or even our Wyze app.
On top of that, all three cameras worked with IFTTT, which allowed us to create some convenient automated actions. Since we have the Wyze Sense security sensors as well, we made sure that the sensors came on at the same time the cameras did, protecting our entire home with a click of one button.
Did You Know:Home automation means that you can have connected devices trigger one another, like having your doors lock when you arm your security system.
- Smart sound recognition: It’s a sad but true fact that 60 percent of deaths from home fires occur in homes with no smoke alarms or homes where the smoke alarms aren’t working. In our house, we actually have old-fashioned smoke alarms, meaning they’re local-only and not Wi-Fi-connected. So if a fire somehow starts when we’re not there, will we lose everything?
Once we installed the Wyze cameras we didn’t have to worry. That’s because they could recognize the sound of our smoke alarms going off so we got notified through the Wyze app. We decided to test this out by lighting a candle near our smoke alarm. Within a few seconds, the alarm beeped and so did our phones, making us confident that we’d know asap of a fire emergency.
- Person detection available: When we invested in a Cam Plus plan, we got person detection; the cost was either $ per camera a month or $ With Plus, clips went from just 12 seconds long to however long the motion was, and we didn’t have to wait during a cooldown period. Learn more on our Wyze camera pricing page.
- Activity zones: Sure, we want to be able to see our living room, our kitchen, and our garage from literally anywhere with internet access, but there are certain areas around our home where we don’t want surveillance, like the powder room right off the kitchen.
Thankfully, both Wyze cameras let us create what the company calls “motion zones”; typically, we call them activity zones. In a nutshell, activity zones let us tell our cameras what areas to pay attention to and what areas to ignore, in this case, the powder room. As a bonus, we set our outdoor camera to ignore cars on the street so they sent us fewer false alerts.
- Wyze app: Finally, we used our Wyze app with all three cameras to live stream footage, review cloud storage, speak through two-way audio, and set up smart platform integrations. It was cool to be able to do this all from one app, especially when we were setting up IFTTT triggers. Smart lights, meet our smart security cameras; we think you guys will become the best of friends.
While these cameras are quite similar, they aren’t identical. Here are the reasons why.
- Indoors vs. outdoors: The Wyze Cam Pan is strictly an indoor camera, so we set it up in the living room. The Outdoor Cam, on the other hand, is built to work in the great outdoors. It’s rated IP65, which means it’s dust-tight and capable of withstanding low-pressure water jets.
The newest version of the Wyze Cam, v3, is actually designed to deal with both environments. Like the Outdoor, it has a 65 IP rating, but the Cam is equally home in the climate-controlled space of our kitchen. Impressive.
- Power: Both the Wyze Cam and the Wyze Cam Pan plug into outlets. Now, that could’ve been an issue if we hadnt placed our outlets conveniently. If that’s a problem for you, check out our list of the best wireless cameras.
Luckily, we didn’t have the same issue with the Outdoor Cam. It worked entirely off a battery, and we got a full six months out of that battery before we had to replace it.
- Prices: The Wyze Cam costs only $36, about a fifth of the price of similarly-featured cameras like the Google Nest Cam Indoor. The Wyze Cam Pan adds another two dollars to the price, bringing it up to $38, still less than a third of the average indoor camera. In contrast, the Outdoor costs a bit more, $
Even so, that’s still $40 less than Blink’s outdoor camera, the XT2. Learn more about the average costs of security cameras, Blink camera pricing or Nest camera pricing.
- Fields of view: Field of view meant how wide our cameras’ scopes were. The Wyze Cam Outdoor had a field of view of degrees, a bit narrow for our tastes. However, the Wyze Cam Pan added another 10 degrees, and the newest version of the Cam, v3, added yet another 10 degrees. With a full degrees, we could see most of the living room.
- Infrared night vision: All three cameras have clear infrared night vision, which let us see what was happening even when New York experienced a blackout. However, in addition to IR, the new Wyze Cam now comes with Starlight Sensors that provide a color night vision image in even the darkest conditions.
- Pan: This one’s so obvious that we saved it for last. Unlike the original Wyze Cam and the Outdoor Cam, we could pan the Wyze Cam Pan around degrees from the Wyze app, which meant that we saw percent of a room as opposed to just what was in the camera’s field of view. We felt vaguely like the FBI as we rotated the camera, seeing not only our kitchen but also the window outside.
Installing the Wyze Cameras
Part of why the Wyze cameras cost so little is the fact that we had to install them ourselves. But don’t worry; you don’t have to test out security cameras for a living to set up either camera. We did so in a few simple steps:
- First, we downloaded the Wyze app and connected it to our Wi-Fi network, which for some reason we can never seem to remember the password of.
- We made a new account including a username and password and clicked continue. Then the app told us step by step what to do.
- We plugged the Cam and the Cam Pan cameras in using the USB cables and power adapters that came with them. The Outdoor Cam was ready to go as soon as we pulled the battery tab. Once we got the cameras running, their LED lights showed yellow, and once those lights started flashing, we knew the cameras were ready for setup.
- From there we jumped back into the Wyze app and clicked on the plus sign to add a new device (or devices, we should say). Once we selected the cameras, we held the setup buttons on the back of the devices until we heard beeps; then, a robot voice said “Ready to connect”.
- We tapped next, added our Wi-Fi information into the app, scanned the cameras’ QR codes, and tapped I Heard QR Code Scanned in the Wyze app. The app took it from there until it said: “Setup is completed”.
From start to finish, it took us only about 10 minutes to set up each camera, so even if smart home technology is new to you, you won’t run into any issues getting your Wyze cameras set up and running.
Which One Should I Get?
Of these three cameras, we recommend the Wyze Cam. Not only is it the cheapest of the three, but we found the Starlight Sensor offered amazing images at night time.
The Cam Pan obviously pans and tilts, and that can be enormously useful if you need degree coverage of a room. It’s strictly an indoor camera, though. And while the Outdoor is made to work outside specifically, the new Wyze Cam v3 has the same IP rating, 65, and it costs $24 less.
You can save even more money off the Cam’s low price if you get into some Wyze Cam Black Friday discounts. That makes the v3 all but unbeatable.
- Is there a monthly fee for the Wyze Cam?
No, the Wyze Cam doesn’t require any monthly fees. In fact, you get 14 days of cloud storage as well as local storage through an SD card for free. However, if you want person detection and unlimited clip lengths, Wyze has a subscription service called Cam Plus, which costs $ per camera per month or $ per camera per year.
- Are Wyze cameras outdoor?
The Wyze Cam is an indoor camera, although there are outdoor protective cases available.
- Does the Wyze Cam have a battery?
The Wyze Cam doesn’t have a battery; it’s plugged in. However, Wyze’s Outdoor Cam works on a battery, making it completely wire-free. With normal use, the battery can last up to six months before it needs to be replaced.
- Is Wyze owned by Amazon?
Wyze is not owned by Amazon. However, several former Amazon employees founded Wyze in As a result, the two companies have a close relationship. Wyze’s About page even notes that the company has tried to incorporate Amazon’s values into its own mission.
- p Color Night Viewing
- See more clearly at night in full color.
- Indoor/Outdoor Home Security
- Capture moments indoors and outdoors with IP65 weather resistance.
- Free 14 Day Cloud Storage
- Free day rolling cloud storage + MicroSD card slot for 24/7 continuous recording.
- Fully upgraded
- More processing power.
More mounting options.
More frames per second.
Brighter, Bolder, & Better than ever
An all-new Starlight Sensor illuminates the outdoors in full color while weather resistance lets you capture life outside. Performance upgrades across the board make this Wyze’s most powerful smart cam ever.
Look on the bright side
Pierce through darkness with the all-new Starlight Sensor. This low-light amplifier shows dark areas in vivid, spectacular detail unseen even to the human eye.
- Starlight Sensor
- The Starlight CMOS sensor sees in environments up to 25x darker
- ƒ/ aperture
- Reveals greater detail at night by capturing 2x more light
- Starlight ISP
- Reduces noise from low light & sharpens the image for astonishing clarity.
Bold design with the outdoors in mind
It’s time to take Wyze Cam outside. All-new IP65 weather & dust resistance truly lets you see everything around your home, inside and out.
Wyze Cam v3 is wired allowing for continuous recording*.
* Requires microSD card (sold separately)
Better in all ways that make you go, "Wow!"
We didn’t just upgrade the look - we upgraded the whole fricken thing.
- 2x faster processor
- Renders images and streams video faster
- More frames per second
- Smoother video playback at 20 FPS
- Wider field of view
- º FOV sees more than ever before
You loved these features.
So we kept them.
Free cloud storage (no subscription required)
Save second motion and sound Event videos to the cloud, for free. Videos are saved for 14 days at a time.
Motion and Sound Detection
Look & listen for motion & sound. Wyze Cam sends your phone an alert and begins recording when either is detected.
Motion Detection Zones
Monitor specific areas for motion so you only receive notifications when it matters.
24/7 Continuous Recording
Capture and view up to 3 days of continuous video with a 32 GB microSD card (sold separately).
Take stunning time-lapse videos over long periods of time. Requires a 32 GB microSD (sold separately).
Smoke & CO Alerts
Receive an alert the moment Wyze Cam hears a Smoke or CO alarm go off. Wyze Cam records a video during this time.
- Google Assistant
And we created ways for making your cam even smarter
- Person Detection
- Full-length motion recording
- Vehicle, pet, and package detection (coming soon)
So you can capture the extraordinary moments around home
From the big picture
video is playing
To the small delights
video is playing
And everything in between
video is playing
Connecting to your Wyzecam IP camera*
Try the following connection options in iSpy or Agent to connect to your Wyzecam IP camera. If an FFMPEG option is available we recommend you try that first as it will often be faster and include audio support. You can also try the VLC plugin if the FFMPEG option isn't working.
The settings for Wyzecam cameras are built right into our free surveillance software - click "Add" then "IP camera with wizard" to automatically setup your Wyzecam cameras. Remember to also try connecting via ONVIF as Wyzecam cameras may support ONVIF connections as well.
Start typing in the "Make" box to find your camera. If your camera is not listed then click "Get Latest List" in settings or when on the add camera wizard. If you need to modify the URL then add or edit the Wyzecam camera and you can modify the connection type and URL in the video source dialog (button is top of the first tab).
Wyzecam compatible software*
Download Wyzecam compatible software
Tip: Click a model to generate a URL for your camera
|Other, V2, V2 RTSP, Wyze Cam Pan, wyze cam v2, Wyze cam V2, Wyze Cam V2, Wyze cam V2 RTSP, WYZE CAM V2 RTSP||VLC||rtsp://||live|
|Wyze cam V2||JPEG||http://||image.jpg|
|Wyze Cam V2, Wyze Cam-Pan||FFMPEG||rtsp://||/live|
* iSpyConnect has no affiliation, connection, or association with Wyzecam’s products. The connection details provided here are crowd sourced from the community and may be incomplete, inaccurate or both. We provide no warranty that you will be successful using these connection URLs or that Wyzecam products are compatible with iSpy.
Other makes starting with W
All rights reserved. No part of this database may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.
Camera wyze ip
- IP65weather resistance
- 2 x mAhwireless battery
- Plivestream & recording
- PIRmotion detection
Stand up to any weather.
IP65 weather-resistant. Bring on the downpours, blizzards, and heatwaves— Wyze Cam Outdoor is built from the ground up to be a workhorse in even the harshest conditions.
Wireless. Go where wires can’t.
Wire-free & battery powered. Mount to the outside of your home or in your trees without running wire or searching for outlets. 2x 2, mAh integrated rechargeable batteries last from months based on normal usage.*
* Normal usage is event videos per day. Battery life varies based on settings, temperature, and usage.
Seize the day. Illuminate the night.
p Full HD with night vision. Crisp video recording and live streaming with 25 ft, yard-illuminating night vision lets you see every detail on a face or whisker on a snout.
Outdoor surveillance security camera.
PIR motion detection. Capture people and animals with second, motion-activated videos. Recordings are saved automatically to the cloud for days free, no subscription required. Motion detection senses body heat using passive infrared (PIR), which reduces false alerts from waving branches. Complete Motion Capture compatibility coming soon.
Cover every corner of your home.
Low profile base station. Connect up to 4 cameras to a single base station and view all video streams in the Wyze app. The starter bundle includes one Base Station. (Additional cameras sold separately and available at general launch.)
Respond in real time.
Two-way audio. Ask the delivery person to hide a package behind the bushes, or scare off unwanted guests in your yard using Wyze Cam Outdoor’s built-in speaker and microphone.
Capture the world.
Offline video recording. Staying at a hotel or backpacking in the Rockies? Travel Mode records motion & time-lapse videos locally to a MicroSD card for when you’re without an internet connection or base station.
Behind the scenes
A letter to you, from Wyze.
You’ve inspired us over the last two years with videos of meteors racing across the sky, sunsets over mountain ranges we thought only existed in movies, and visits from mother nature in the form of wildlife and spectacular lightning storms.
You’ve stretched the limits of our indoor camera with use cases we never anticipated and conditions we thought impossible. You made makeshift outdoor housings out of milk jugs, 3D printings, and bird houses.
Your tenacity to go beyond our prescribed instruction has made it clear we need to meet you with a camera that can keep up with your curiosity. Capturing the world can’t happen when you’re limited to your living room, so we created a camera that goes beyond that.
We spent two years on phone calls that carried into the next morning, on international flights where sleep became a luxury; and on user interviews listening to what you wanted to see in an outdoor camera. All leading up to a camera worthy of looking after your home and those within it.
We cut wires, removed boundaries, and lab tested under every extreme condition imaginable. We’ve built you a battle-hardened camera capable of going places your indoor camera wouldn’t even dream about—thriving in the rains of Seattle all the way to the heatwaves of Miami and everything in between.
Performance-packed hardware and software found in cameras 3x the price weren’t added to win an award. They were added to earn your respect.
Wyze Cam Outdoor may be sold by Wyze, but it was inspired by you. And we’re incredibly proud to finally show it off.
Set up and installation made easy.
Need a hand with installation?
Our friends at OnTech can help.
Get your Wyze Cam Outdoor installed by someone you can trust as soon as tomorrow.Learn More
Have a Wyze Cam Outdoor already?
Book an appointment now
Yegor also took off his own and threw him into the corner of the room. I felt a little dizzy and closed my eyes. In addition to all other sensations, I felt that the straps covering my chest had moved somewhere, and the basketball player's tenacious hands dug. Into mine, not balls.
The fingers twisted and squeezed the nipples.
- Matlab x range
- The hive gym
- Dnd spell tracker
- Starz tv schedule
- Printable nurse hat
- Nevada unemployment insurance
- Epicurious pot roast
- Fs17 bale wrapper
- Xr80 replacement engine
- Midget from friday
He liked her, plus the girl was head over heels in love. Dream. - You tell me, what's the matter. - a minute later Nikolai Viktorovich spoke up. - I do not want a deuce for the exam.