Good Old Classic Movies Online, Watch or Download Free !
Thank you for visiting our classic cinema web site, Below listed great old movies available to watch online free of cost. This particular cinema website was created for all people who had loved old classic movies. All the retro films here actually public domain by means of expired copyrights, allowing it to legally shared. Find and watch your preferred classic movies online, or even download legally all these free vintage films and watch them later on your computer. Use the search field on top of this website, otherwise navigate through the categories, To find a certain movie, you may also click the movies list link, and find all the movies sorted by simply abc letters. More films are usually added, once they become available. Hopefully that you really enjoy this growing list of free classic movies.
Today there are lots of choices for classic film fans to see an almost unlimited variety of films, but all of these choices are a mixed bag for people who dont want to subscribe to half a dozen services. The loss of the local video rental store with a classics section has in many ways made it harder to stumble across classic films for the casual viewer. But classic films are out there just waiting to be watched and shared.
Below is a guide (updated March ) to where you can watch classic films on your TV, computer, or other electronic devices.
For help with searching:
If you know what you want to watch but arent sure where its available head over the JustWatch app. With this app you can search over 30 providers to see if the film youre hunting for is available to stream, rent, or buy. You can also see if films are playing in a local theater near you.
Lets start off with a free one.
You never hear much about Kanopy which is a shame. Its a free service where you can access 30, films with a library card from a participating library.
Subjects include Independent Cinema, World Cinema, and Classic Cinema to just name a few.
Turner Classic Movies
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has been out front for years as a go-to place for movie lovers to find classic films (with no commercials). TCM is available as a channel on most cable and satellite networks and has an app that allows users to stream some of their content. TCM also has a fantastic website where you can learn more about the variety of programming TCM provides its viewers.
Highlights of TCMs website:
- TCMs Star of the Month & Spotlight of the Month
- Classic Film News
- Streaming full-length movies & trailers
- A complete schedule of upcoming TCM programs
- Film Comment Articles
- Message Boards where you can communicate with fellow fans
The Criterion Channel
After the depressing demise of FilmStruck last fall streaming options for classic film fans were looking a bit bleak. Luckily The Criterion Channel was announced earlier this year and will begin streaming the entire Criterion collection in the U.S. and Canada on April 8th.
The website for The Criterion Channel describes its service as a, Constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterions entire streaming library of more than 1, important classic and contemporary films from around the world.
Netflix has received a lot of attention for its award-winning original content, but its still a great source for streaming and renting (yes, renting!) classic films.
- Watch Instantly classic films can be searched by decade (s, s, etc.) as well as by categories such as Romance classics, Actions classics, and Classic TV.
- Films available on DVD as rentals are divided into even more categories including war stories, silent films, and film noir.
- Classic films can also be found in many other searchable categories including horror, cult movies, and animation.
Fandor is an online streaming service that isnt as well-known as Netflix or Hulu, but is a treasure trove for classic films fans. There is a Classic genre in Fandors search option and many additional classic films can be found in other genres including Adaptation, Epic, and Animated.
- Genres include silents, ephemera, film noir, and LGBTQ as well as drama, comedy, and western
- Fandor recommends three related films as a part of their film descriptions.
Hulu is right up there with Netflix as a powerhouse streaming service that has a vast catalog of films and TV shows available to their subscribers. And like Netflix, what is on and then off of Hulu changes all the time. Some of the recent classic films available to stream on Hulu include Chinatown, True Grit, Gentleman Prefer Blondes, and The Furies.
The Film Detective
The Film Detective describes themselves as leading purveyors of restoration and distribution of broadcast-quality, digitally-remastered programming, including feature films, television and more. Their app is available on Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV. Their content is free as long as you dont mind watching some commercials. If you want an ad-free experience you can purchase a subscription. The Film Detective has intros for their content and some exclusive behind-the-scenes content.
Amazon Prime has a huge selection of films, including classic films, to stream but its not easy to find them. They dont appear to have a classics genre but if you choose other genres (like romance, westerns, and science fiction) it wont take much scrolling to find a few options.
The streaming site MUBI offers a more curated classic film experience. From their website: Every day experts introduce you to a film they love and you have a whole month to watch it, so there will always be 30 extraordinary films for you to enjoy.
The Internet Archive is (in their own words) a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, websites, and more. There are over million videos currently on this website with over 4, feature films, almost silent films, and almost 7, items from the Prelinger Archives.
Many of the apps below get their public domain content from The Internet Archive.
Classic Film Apps & Roku Channels
Roku is a streaming and media player that has a ton of channels to find content. Some of these channels (there are over 3,!) are devoted to classic films.
Some channels to check out if you have a Roku:
Classic Films, FilmRise Classic, Classic TV & Film, Classic Film Festival, Western TV & Movie Classics, and Classic Movie Vault.
Many classic film apps can also be used on your Apple or Android devices, laptops, Apple TVs, and Amazon Fire TVs. Here are just a few to check out:
Rewinder, Classix, and Mickey Video.
There are also countless other websites that offer streaming options for classic films. Many of them are free. Some of these sites favor films that have fallen into the public domain or have been OKd by the copyright holders, some of them are probably breaking the law violating the films copyright. See Classic Films does not want to recommend any service or site that breaks copyright so if you see a site/channel on this list that you think isnt legit let us know.
Prefer to see your classic films on the big screen? Check out our state by state listings for theaters that show classic films on the big screen.
Amy Richau created See Classic Films to make it easier for fans to find their favorite films on the big screen. Shes also highlighting a Star Wars Woman (character, actress, writer, crew member) every day on her site Days of Star Wars Women.Copyright secured by Digiprove ©
Watch 4,+ movies free online. Includes classics, indies, film noir, documentaries and other films, created by some of our greatest actors, actresses and directors. The collection is divided into the following categories: Comedy & Drama; Film Noir, Horror & Hitchcock; Westerns (many with John Wayne); Martial Arts Movies; Silent Films; Documentaries, and Animation.
Free Comedy & Dramas
- Korean Feature Films Free The Korean Film Archive has put on YouTube over Korean feature films, including Im Kwon-taek’s Sopyonje and Hong Sangsoos The Day the Pig Fell Into a Well. A bonanza for fans of Korean film.
- 70 Movies in HD from Famed Russian Studio Mosfilm Free Includes films by Tarkovsky, Eisenstein and Kurosawa. These all appear on Mosfilms official YouTube channel.
- + Free Movies Streaming on YouTube Free YouTube officially provides a large number of Hollywood movies that you can watch free with ads. Many films are unfortunately geo-restricted to certain geographies. Get more detail here.
- 3, Free Films from the National Film Board of Canada – Free – The National Film Board of Canada has put online thousands of films across all genres of film. Get an overview here.
- A Farewell to Arms Free Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes star in a film based on famous novel by Ernest Hemingway. ()
- A Hunting Accident Free Soviet romantic drama directed by Emil Loteanu, adapted from Anton Chekhovs “The Shooting Party.” It was entered into the Cannes Film Festival. Click “CC” for titles. ()
- A Matter of Life and Death Free Romantic fantasy film created by the British writing-directing-producing team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and set in England during the Second World War. It stars David Niven, Roger Livesey, Kim Hunter, Marius Goring and Raymond Massey. ()
- A Song of Love Free The only film by playwright Jean Genet. The erotic film was censored. ()
- A Star is Born Free Janet Gaynor portrays Esther Blodgett, a starry-eyed small town girl with a dream of making it big in Hollywood. ()
- Adventures of Robinson Crusoe Free The classic novel by Daniel Defoe gets adapted by the great Luis Buñuel. ()
- Afonya Free Directed by Georgi Daneliya, this Soviet comedy film became an unexpected blockbuster. Its made available by the Russian film studio Mosfilm. Click “cc” to get subtitles. ()
- Alexander Nevsky Free A historical drama film directed by the great Russian filmmaker Sergei Eisenstein. ()
- Angel on My Shoulder Free A gangster comedy starring Claude Rains and Paul Muni. ()
- As You Like It Free Its Laurence Oliviers earliest Shakespeare performance on film. Its also the first feature-length British sound Shakespeare film. ()
- Becky Sharp Free The first feature film to use three-strip Technicolor film, or, put differently, the first real color film. ().
- Blade Runner Prequels Free Three short official prequels for Blade Runner have been released, advancing the Blade Runner story. One is shot by respected Japanese animator Shinichiro Watanabe. ()
- Breakfast at Tiffanys Free A classic romantic comedy film directed by Blake Edwards, adapted from Truman Capotes novella of the same name, and starring Audrey Hepburn. ()
- Cannibal! The Musical Free Black comedy by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the makers of South Park. Their very first feature film. ()
- Captain Kidd Free Charles Laughton and John Carradine star in film with drama on the high seas. ()
- Castello Cavalcanti Free Wes Andersons short film takes place in a hamlet tucked away somewhere in Italy. Features Jason Schwartzman, star of Anderson’s breakout Rushmore. ()
- Charade Free Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn star in the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made. ()
- Charade Free The film consists of three short stories starring James Mason and his wife Pamela Mason. ()
- collective:unconscious Free Five indie filmmakers adapt each others dreams for the screen. The New Yorkers Richard Brody called it one of his favorite films at the SXSW film festival. ()
- Cold Sweat Free Charles Bronson, Liv Ullman, James Mason, and Jill Ireland star in this action packed movie about a ruthless drug runner who holds a mans family hostage. ()
- Crash: The Short Film Free Otherwise known as The Atrocity Exhibition, this pre-Cronenberg short film was directed by Harley Cokeliss and stars J.G. Ballard himself. ()
- Cyrano De Bergerac Free Michael Gordons tale based on the classic French tale. ()
- Darwin Free minute exploration of the life and work of Charles Darwin by Peter Greenaway. ()
- Détour Free A short charming film shot by Michel Gondry purely on his iPhone. ()
- Diary Free Short film by Tim Hetherington (director of Restrepo) that reflects on his ten years of war reporting. ()
- Dinner for One Free A short comedy film that has become part of a New Years Eve tradition in Germany and many other European countries. Once held the Guinness World Record for Most Frequently Repeated TV Program. ()
- Doodlebug Free One of Christopher Nolans early short films. Made in , released in
- Double Take Free Alfred Hitchcock meets Jorge Luis Borges Borges in Cold War America in a film directed by Johan Grimonprez and written by Tom McCarthy. ()
- Dreams That Money Can Buy Free A surrealist film by Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp, Alexander Calder, Fernand Léger & Hans Richter. ()
- Duet for Cannibals Free A tale of emotional cannibalism by Susan Sontag. A pair of psychological & sexual cannibals come close to devouring a younger couple. ()
- Eat, Sleep & Kiss Free Three silent anti-films by Andy Warhol. ()
- Edgar Allan Poe’s the Raven Free Winner of the Best Short at the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival, this film modernizes Poes story, situating it in Hollywood ()
- End of the World Free After witnessing a mans death in a bizarre accident, Father Pergado goes on a spiritual retreat, where he encounters his alien double bent on world conquest. Sci-fi film stars Christopher Lee. ()
- Enthusiasm Free Dziga Vertovs masterpiece of early sound film, Enthusiasm deals with the Five Year Plan of the late s. His goal was “to grasp the feverish reality of life in the Don Basin, to convey as true to life as possible its atmosphere of the clash of hammers, of train whistles, of the songs of workers at rest.” In Russian. ()
- Erotikon Free Directed by Czech filmmaker Gustav Machatý and starring Hedy Lamarr, the film was controversial in its time because it had nude scenes. It was the first non-pornographic movie to portray sexual intercourse and the female orgasm. ()
- Evidence Free From the maker of Koyaanisqatsi, a short film about kids watching cartoons ().
- Fargo Free A black comedy crime film written, produced and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen and starring Frances McDormand. Streaming in the US on YouTubes Movie channel. ()
- Fear and Desire Free An uncut print of Stanley Kubricks “lost” early film. Kubrick didnt like how his first film came out, so removed it from circulation. ()
- Fight for Your Right Revisited Free Adam Yauch commemorates the Beastie Boys’ legendary video for (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!). 30 minute surreal film stars Elijah Wood, Danny McBride and Seth Rogen. ()
- Five Minutes to Live Free Amazing bank heist movie stars Johnny Cash, Vic Tayback, Ron Howard, and country music great, Merle Travis. ()
- Flamenco at Free Oscar-winning short film about a flamenco dance class given to senior students. Made available by the National Film Board of Canada. ()
- Franz Kafkas Its a Wonderful Life Free Directed by Peter Capaldi, the Oscar-winning short film shows Kafka, on Christmas Eve, struggling to come up with the opening line for his most famous work, The Metamorphosis. ()
- Freiheit Free The third short film George Lucas made while a film-school student at USC and the first with a narrative. ()
- From the Drain Free David Cronenberg‘s short film made while attending the University of Toronto. ()
- Geometria Free A ghoulish short film by Guillermo del Toro. One of his earliest films that you can watch online. ()
- Ghost Train Free Classic ghostly comedy, starring Arthur Askey and based on the play by Dads Army actor Arnold Ridley. ()
- Great Expectations Free -The classic story of Pip the British orphan. Based on the great Charles Dickens novel available in our collection of Free eBooks. ()
- Hardware Wars Free Its the mother of all Star Wars fan films, and also one of the most popular short films ever made. ()
- Häxan: The Witches or Witchcraft Through The Ages Free Benjamin Christensen’s silent film Häxangetsa narration by William S. Burroughs. ()
- Hells Angels Free American war film, directed by Howard Hughes and starring Jean Harlow, about combat pilots of World War I. Stanley Kubrick listed it as one of his 10 favorite films on his only top 10 list. ()
- Hells House Free With Bette Davis and Pat OBrien. The film is set during the final days of prohibition. ()
- Herbert White Free James Francos short film made during film school. Stars Michael Shannon. Based on a poem by Frank Bidart. ()
- Hercules Free Italian epic fantasy feature film based upon the Hercules myths. ()
- Hi Diddle Diddle Free When the brides mother is supposedly swindled out of her money by a spurned suitor, the grooms father orchestrates a scheme of his own to set things right. Quentin Tarantino named it one of the 12 best films of all time. ()
- His Girl Friday Free Directed by Howard Hawks. A classic comedy starring Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell and Ralph Bellamy. ()
- Hometown in My Heart Free Made in the early years of Korean Independence, the film is about a young monk who longs to see his mother in a new light, by suppressing his emotions. ()
- Human: The Movie Free By director, photographer, and environmental activist Yann Arthus-Bertrand, this unique film features interviews with 2, people from 60 countries on what it means to be human. ()
- I Thought I Told You to Shut Up Free A short film narrated by Jonathan Demme about the making of the s underground comic, Reid Fleming: World’s Toughest Milkman. ()
- Impressions de la haute Mongolie Free Surrealist false documentary directed by Salvador Dalí and José Montes-Baquer, starring Salvador Dalí himself. ()
- Indiscreet Free Features superstar Gloria Swanson and directed by Leo McCarey. A comedy thats almost Chaplinesque. ()
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time Free Anthony Newley plays a poor avant-garde artist who struggles with an ex-wifes remarriage to a building contractor. ()
- Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession Free Soviet comic sci-fi film directed by Leonid Gaidai, based on the play Ivan Vasilievich by Mikhail Bulgakov. A huge Soviet blockbuster. Click “CC” for subtitles. ()
- Jattendrai le suivant Free A French film nominated for an Academy Award for the Best Short Film in
- Jungle Book Free A color action-adventure film based on the Rudyard Kipling novel, The Jungle Book. Directed by Zoltán Korda, the film was nominated for four Academy Awards. ()
- Killer Drill Free Directed by Lewis D. Collins, Killer Drill is about the Door-to-door salesman Johnny Dill, an exact double of a notorious gangster, who finds himself struck between the forces of good and evil. ()
- King Lear Free Made for TV adaptation of Shakespeares King Lear starring Orson Welles. ()
- La Dialectique Peut-Elle Casser Des Briques? (Can Dialectics Break Bricks?) Free A French Situationist film produced by René Viénet which explores the development of class conflict through revolutionary agitation against a backdrop of graphic kung-fu fighting. ()
- La Femme Tetes Free An adaptation of Max Ernsts collage book “La femme têtes,” originally published in Consider the film a collage in motion. ()
- L’Age d’or Free French surrealist comedy directed by Luis Buñuel about the insanities of modern life, the hypocrisy of the sexual mores of bourgeois society and the value system of the Roman Catholic Church. Salvador Dalí co-wrote the screenplay. ()
- Lady Blue Shanghai Free David Lynchs short movie that doubles as a commercial for Dior. Stars Marion Cotillard. ()
- Lady Lazarus Free An experimental film made by Sandra Lahire using footage of Sylvia Plath reading her own work as well as an interview she gave in ()
- Lick the Star Free Sofia Coppolas very first short film follows a 7th-grade conspiracy ()
- Love and Pigeons Free Soviet romantic comedy film by Vladimir Menshov. His previous film Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. ()
- Lumiere Free A very short film by David Lynch. 55 seconds. ()
- M Free Classic film directed by Fritz Lang, with Peter Lorre. About the search for a child murderer in Berlin, ()
- Meet John Doe Free Frank Capras comedy, with Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. Voted one of the most inspiring films of all time. ()
- Meetin’ WA Free In a short film Jean-Luc Godard meets Woody Allen. ()
- Menthe Free The second film by Lars von Trier is based on the sadomasochistic novel by Dominique Aury, Story of O, and tells the story of a voluntary female subjugation. ()
- Metamorfosis Free -Franz Kafka’s best-known short story gets adapted into a Tim Burtonesque Spanish short film ()
- Mike Leighs Five Minute Films Free The BBC commissioned him to make a series of five-minute movies in They eventually aired in
- My Best Friends Birthday Free First (incomplete) film directed by Quentin Tarantino. Some good rockabilly fun. ()
- Mulberry Free S. Korean drama film directed by Lee Doo-yong. The film became “known for its erotic subject matter, made possible by the governments gradual relaxation of censorship and control over the film industry during the s.” ()
- Murder in Harlem Free Film by Oscar Micheaux, the first African-American to produce a feature-length film () and sound movie (). His films provide a window into American views on race. ()
- My Cousin Vinny Free “Two New Yorkers accused of murder in rural Alabama while on their way back to college call in the help of one of their cousins, a loudmouth lawyer with no trial experience.” Stars Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, and Marisa Tomei. Streaming free in the US on YouTubes Movie channel. ()
- No Exit/Huis Close Free Harold Pinter interprets the lead role of Garcia in Sartres famous claustrophobic play of self-definition and identity. ()
- Our Town Free Film adaptation of a play of the same name by Thornton Wilder starring William Holden, Martha Scott, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Thomas Mitchell, Guy Kibbee and Frank Craven. Find Alternate version. ()
- Penny Serenade Free With Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. “Depicts the story of a couple who must overcome adversity to keep their marriage and raise a child. Grant was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance.” ()
- Plaisir damour en Iran Free A short, six minute film by Agnès Varda, about a love story between a handsome Iranian (Ali Raffi) and a visiting French woman (Valérie Mairesse). The film was shot in Iran. ()
- Plan 9 from Outer Space Free An Ed Wood “classic.” Considered one of the worst films ever made and yet the ultimate cult flick. ()
- Plastic Bag Free Werner Herzog narrates the touching, existential journey of a plastic bag. A short film directed by Ramin Bahrani, who Roger Ebert called the “new great American director”. ()
- Pygmalion Free Classic is based on George Bernard Shaws play. Won Oscar for best screenplay. ()
- ¡Que viva México! Free A film project begun in by Russian avant-garde filmmaker Sergei Eisenstein portraying Mexican culture and politics from pre-Conquest civilization to the Mexican revolution. The troubled film was eventually abandoned.
- Rakka Free Starring Sigourney Weaver, “Rakka” takes us inside the aftermath of an alien invasion sometime in the year ()
- Reefer Madness Free Arguably the most unintentionally hilarious “anti-drug” exploitation film. ()
- Rembrandt Free A luminous biopic of the legendary Dutch painter. Alexander Korda considered this to be his finest film. ()
- Romance Sentimentale Free Directed by Sergei Eisenstein. ()
- Royal Wedding Free Musical comedy film starring Fred Astaire and Jane Powell, with music by Burton Lane and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner. ()
- Ruslan and Ludmila Free Russian film directed by Aleksandr Ptushko. Based on poem written by Alexander Pushkin in Subtitled in English. Made available by Mosfilm. ()
- Scrooge Free The first sound version of Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol. Directed by Henry Edwards ()
- Secret Weapons Free David Cronenbergs seldom seen made-for-TV movie. ()
- Sex Madness Free This is to sex what Reefer Madness is to drugs. YouTube version here. ()
- Shame Free Produced by Roger Corman and starring William Shatner. Mystery film about a man sent into a southern town to stir up race riots. Find alternate version on Youtube here. ()
- Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon Free Sherlock Holmes rescues an inventor of an new bomb site before the Nazis can get him. ()
- Six Men Getting Sick (Six Times) Free David Lynch`s very first short film. ()
- Slacker Free Richard Linklaters Gen-X, generation defining indie film. ()
- Sopyonje Free The film directed by Kwon-taek Im surprised S. Korea by both rekindling interest in the traditional music of pansori and by breaking box-office records despite playing on only three screens. You can find more Korean feature films at Korean Film Archive. ()
- Spider Baby Free A black comedy horror film, written and directed by Jack Hill. Stars Lon Chaney Jr. ()
- Strike Free Sergei Eisensteins first feature film and an indicator of the brilliant films to follow. ()
- Terror by Night Free Sherlock Holmes film, the thirteenth to star Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce and was directed by Roy William Neill. The story revolves around the theft of a famous diamond aboard a train. ()
- Thanksgiving Prayer Free A short film by Gus Van Sant wherein William S. Burroughs reads a sarcastic Thanksgiving Prayer. ()
- The Amazing Quest of Ernest Bliss Free Cary Grant plays a rich socialite, who makes a bet with his therapist that he can make a living for one year using none of his current wealth. ()
- The Bigamist Free Directed by Ida Lupino, a pioneer among women filmmakers. ()
- The Blood of a Poet Free Avant-garde film directed by Jean Cocteau. The first part of the Orphic Trilogy. ()
- The Blue Angel Free The Weimar classic that made Marlene Dietrich an international star. ()
- The Contender Free Stars Buster Crabbe (best known for his role as Tarzan) in well known boxing film. ()
- The Cut Ups Free Directed by Anthony Balch, this avant-garde film brings William S. Burroughs cut up technique to film. ()
- The Day the Pig Fell Into a Well Free The very first picture from Hong Sangsoo, a S. Korean director acclaimed by critics worldwide as a comedic formal experimenter, in essence Korea’s Woody Allen. ()
- The Dentist Free W.C. Fields in his second talking comedy short. One of four short films Fields made with the “king of comedy,” Mack Sennett. ()
- The Diamond Arm Free Directed by Leonid Gaidai, the film has become a Russian cult film and is considered to be one of the finest comedies of its time. ()
- The Discipline of D.E. Free Gus Van Sants short, 16 mm, black and white adaptation of William S. Burroughs short story. ()
- The Divorce of Lady X Free British romantic comedy film starring Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon ().
- The Dove Free A parody of some of Ingmar Bergmans best known films, including Wild Strawberries (Smultronstaellet) and The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde Inseglet). Features first film appearance by Madeline Kahn. Nominated for Academy Award. ()
- The Fall of the House of Usher Free Poe’s classic tale turned into an avant garde film. It was scripted by e.e. cummings. ()
- The Fast And The Furious Free A s B-action film written by Roger Corman. ()
- The Flying Deuces Free This was the first comedy that Laurel and Hardy starred in without producer Hal Roach, although they had previously been “guest stars” in four MGM movies. ()
- The Girls Free A comedy-drama directed by Yuri Chulyukin, the film became one of the most popular Soviet films of the 60s. Click “cc” for subtitles. ()
- The Great Saint Louis Bank Robbery Free Steve McQueen stars in a gritty, downbeat, and sometimes savage heist movie. ()
- The Hire Free Eight short films made by famous directors (John Frankenheimer, Guy Ritchie, Joe Carnahan, Tony Scott, Alejandro González Iñárritu, John Woo, Wong Kar-wai, Ang Lee) for BMW. Stars Clive Owens. ()
- The Jackie Robinson Story Free Starring Jackie Robinson himself, the film retraces the life and times of the great baseball player and civil rights figure. ()
- The Jungle Book Free Directed by Zoltan Korda, it starred Sabu, Jospeh Calleia, John Qualen, Frank Puglia, etc. ()
- The Last Farm Free Short Icelandic film nominated for Oscar in
- The Last Man on Earth Free Post apocalyptic horror film starring Vincent Price and based on Richard Matheson novel I Am Legend. ()
- The Last Time I Saw Paris Free Elizabeth Taylor and Van Johnson star in romantic drama based on F. Scott Fitzgerald s story “Babylon Revisited.” YouTube version here. ()
- The Legend of Hallowdega Free Black comedy mockumentary directed by Terry Gilliam. Stars David Arquette and Justin Kirk, with appearances by Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Darrell Waltrip. ()
- The Little Shop of Horrors Free Directed by Roger Corman with Jack Nicholson. Its is a farce about an inadequate florists assistant who cultivates a plant that feeds on human flesh and blood. ()
- The Living Wake Free Dark comedy chronicles the final day of self-proclaimed artist and genius, K. Roth Binew. Mike OConnell, Jim Gaffigan and Jill Larson. ()
- The Lunch Date Free Adam Davidsons commentary on race in America. The short film won an Oscar and a prize at Cannes. ()
- The Metamorphosis – A Study: Nabokov on Kafka Free A dramatization of Vladimir Nabokovs lectures on Kafka novella, The Metamorphosis. Stars Christopher Plummer. ()
- The Night of Counting the Years Free Directed by Shadi Abdel Salam, this film is considered one of the finest Egyptian films ever made. ()
- The Orchid Gardener Free A young, mentally ill man, a visual artist in crisis Victor Marse (Lars von Trier) meets two nurses (Eliza and her girlfriend) during his stay in a sanatorium. Bizarre things happen next in an experimental film with a mysterious and symbolic plot . ()
- The Painted Desert Free Notable for being Clark Gables first appearance in a talkie film. ()
- The Parrot Sings with Her Whole Body Free Directed by Jung Jin-woo, this S. Korean film is meant for mature audiences. ()
- The Phantom Fiend Free The first sound remake of the Alfred Hitchcock classic, The Lodger. Stars Ivor Novello and directed by Maurice Elvey.
- The Quest Free Saul Bass’s trippy, kitschy short film based on a Ray Bradbury short story. ()
- The Road to Race Track Free A South Korean film directed by Jang Sun-Woo based on the controversial novel by Hailji. ()
- The Scarlet Letter Free Robert G. Vignolas adaptation of Nathaniel Hawthornes classic. ()
- The Scarlet Pimpernel Free Adaptation of the classic adventure novel by Baroness Orczy. Stars Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon. ()
- The Short Films of Louis CK Free A collection of nine short films created by the comedian between and
- The Skin Game Free A Hitchcock film based on a play by John Galsworthy recounts the tragic tale of a family feud. ()
- The Snows of Kilimanjaro Free Based on Hemingways classic novel set in Africa. Stars Gregory Peck. ()
- The Stranger Free Directed by Orson Welles and starring Edward G. Robinson and Loretta Young. This was Orson Welles only major box office success. Alternative version on Archive.org. ()
- The Taming of the Shrew Free The first sound adaptation of a Shakespeare film ever. Stars Mary Pickford and her husband Douglas Fairbanks. ()
- The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Free Directed by Fritz Lang, this was the sequel to Langs nearly four-hour silent film Dr. Mabuse shot in ()
- The Wild Ride Free A cult classic that features Jack Nicholson playing a rebellious punk in one of his first roles. ()
- The Woman in Green Free Sherlock Holmes investigates when young women around London turn up murdered, each with a finger severed off. Scotland Yard suspects a madman, but Holmes believes the killings to be part of a diabolical plot. Stars Basil Rathbone as Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Dr. Watson. ()
- The World of Stainboy Free A series of flash animation shorts created by Tim Burton. The Stainboy character first appeared in two short poems in the book The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories, also created and illustrated by Tim Burton. ()
- The Young Lovers Free Directed by Ida Lupino, this film tells the tale of a newly engaged woman who contracts polio. Film was also titled Never Fear. Alternate version here.
- Things to Come Free A British sci-fi film produced by Alexander Korda and directed by William Cameron Menzies. The screenplay was written by H. G. Wells, and predicted a grim future for the world. We have background on the film here. ()
- Tuileries Free A short twisted film by Joel and Ethan Coen. Stars Steve Buscemi and takes place in Paris. ()
- Two Men Free An award-winning short film adapts Franz Kafkas short story, “Passers-by.” Set in aboriginal Australia. ()
- Uncle Vanya Free Adaptation of the Anton Chekhov play of the same title. Directed by Andrey Konchalovskiy. Click “CC” for subtitles. ()
- Utopia Free Laurel & Hardys last film. ()
- Vinyl Free Andy Warhols loose film adaptation of Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange. ()
- Virus Free Post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie directed by Kinji Fukasaku and based on a novel written by Sakyo Komatsu. ()
- Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women Free An early film by “New Hollywood” director Peter Bogdanovich ().
- Waiting for Godot Free Performances of Waiting for Godot directed by none other than Samuel Beckett himself. ()
- We Are Jazzmen Free Directed by Mr. Karen Shakhnazarov, the film chronicles the emergence of jazz during the s in Soviet Russia. Its made available by the Russian film studio, Mosfilm. Click “cc” to get subtitles. ()
- White Tiger Free A Russian action war film directed by Karen Shakhnazarov, and based on a novel by Ilya Boyashov. The film was put online by the Russian film studio, Mosfilm. Click “cc” to get subtitles. ()
- Why Try to Escape from Which You Know You Cant Escape from? Because You Are a Coward Free An early film by Lars von Trier. ()
- Zéro de Conduite (Zero for Conduct) Free Originally banned in France, the film was later honored by Truffaut in The Blows. ()
Free Hitchcock, Noir, Horror & Thriller Films
- A Bucket of Blood Free Roger Cormans classic comedy/horror film set in Bohemian San Francisco. Shot in 5 days for $50, Internet Archive version here. ()
- A Life at Stake Free Directed by Paul Guilfoyle, this American noir film stars Angela Lansbury and Keith Andes. ()
- And Then There Were None Free Film adaptation of Agatha Christies best-selling mystery novel directed by René Clair. ()
- Angel on My Shoulder Free A gangster comedy starring Claude Rains and Paul Muni. ()
- Beat the Devil – Free – Directed by John Huston and starring Humphrey Bogart, the film is something of a comic and dramatic spoof of the film noir tradition. ()
- Behind Green Lights – Free – Stars Carole Landis, John Ireland. Police lieutenant Sam Carson investigates a political murder after the victim is dumped at the door of police headquarters. ()
- Big Bluff Free – Directed by W. Lee Wilder. When a scheming fortune hunter finds his rich wife is not going to die as expected, he and his lover make other plans to get her millions. ()
- Blood on the Sun Free A film starring James Cagney and Sylvia Sidney is based on a fictional history behind the Tanaka Memorial document. It won the Academy Award for Best Art Direction for a Black & White in In , the film entered the public domain. ()
- Bon Voyage Free A French language WWII propaganda film by Alfred Hitchcock. ()
- Blonde Ice Free A society reporter keeps herself in the headlines by marrying a series of wealthy men. They all die mysteriously afterwards though. ()
- Bluebeard Free Directed by Edgar G. Ulmer and starring John Carradine, this film became a cult classic for horror fans. ()
- Borderline Free Two undercover agents infiltrate a drug-smuggling ring in Mexico, but neither is aware of the others identity. Stars Fred MacMurray, Claire Trevor and Raymond Burr. ()
- Carnival of Souls Free An American independent horror film directed by Herk Harvey for $33,, the film, although not originally popular, eventually became a cult classic. The “plot follows a young woman whose life is disturbed after a car accident, finding herself drawn to the pavilion of an abandoned carnival.” ()
- Cause for Alarm! Free Ellen (Loretta Young) narrates the tale of “the most terrifying day of my life”, how she was taking care of her bedridden husband George Z. Jones (Barry Sullivan) when he suddenly dropped dead. ()
- Dementia Free Also called Daughter of Horror, this film by John Parker incorporated elements of horror film, film noir and expressionist film. About the film, Cahiers du cinema wrote “To what degree this film is a work of art, we are not certain but, in any case, it is strong stuff.” ()
- Dementia 13 Free A horror film that was one of Francis Ford Coppolas early mainstream efforts. HD widescreen version here. ()
- Detour Free Edgar Ulmers cult classic noir film shot in 6 days. ()
- Dick Tracy Free A 15 episode film series that brought Dick Tracy to the silver screen. ()
- Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome Free Dick Tracy film from stars Boris Karloff as Gruesome. ()
- D.O.A. Free Rudolph Matés classic noir film. Called “one of the most accomplished, innovative, and downright twisted entrants to the film noir genre.” You can also watch the movie here. ()
- Dressed to Kill Free The last of 14 films starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Doctor Watson. ()
- Port of New York Free Two narcotics agents go after a gang of murderous drug dealers who use ships docking at the New York harbor to smuggle in their contraband. First film in which Yul Brynner appeared. ()
- Great Guy Free James Cagney plays the plucky Irish crusader, Johnny Cave, who fights against corruption. ()
- Guest in the House – Free – Directed by John Brahm, the noir film stars Anne Baxter, Ralph Bellamy, Aline MacMahon. ()
- He Walked by Night – Free – Film-noir drama, told in semi-documentary style, follows police on the hunt for a resourceful criminal. This move became the basis for “Dragnet,” and stars Jack Webb. Archive.org version here. ()
- Horror Express Free Spanish horror film starring Telly Savalas of Kojak fame.
- Impact Free Arthur Lubins well reviewed noir flic. Considered a little known classic you need to watch. ()
- Inner Sanctum Free A gripping noir film about “a murderer who is on the lam and hiding out in a small town. Unbeknownst to him, he is not only hiding in the same boarding house as the only witness to his crime, he is sharing the same room.” ()
- Invisible Ghost Free Bela Lugosi stars in film where a towns leading citizen becomes a homocidal maniac after his wife deserts him. Alternate version here. ()
- Jamaica Inn Free A young woman discovers that shes living near a gang of criminals who arrange shipwrecks for profit. Stars Maureen OHara, Robert Newton and Charles Laughton. ()
- Jigsaw Free Directed by Fletcher Markle, and starring Franchot Tone, Jean Wallace and Marc Lawrence, the film features cameo appearances by Marlene Dietrich and Henry Fonda. ()
- Judex Free Directed by French filmmaker Georges Franju, this crime film is a remake of the film serial documenting the adventures of pulp hero Judex. ()
- Kansas City Confidential Free A film noir gem that inspired Quentin Tarantinos Reservoir Dogs. ()
- Key Lime Pie Free A zany animated film in the noir tradition. ()
- Lady in the Death House Free Stars Jean Parker, Lionel Atwill and Douglas Fowley. A young woman is on death row for the murder of a man who was blackmailing her family, though she claims she was framed. And the story goes from there. ()
- Man in the Attic Free Jack Palance as Jack the Ripper! ()
- Night of the Living Dead Free George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead is theurtext of the modern zombie movie. ()
- Please Murder Me Free Lawyer Raymond Burr brilliantly defends Angela Lansbury in s noir film. ()
- Pulgasari Free A North Korean Godzilla-style film produced by South Korean director Shin Sang-ok, who had been kidnapped in by North Korean intelligence on the orders of Kim Jong-il. ()
- Quicksand Free Noir film with Mickey Rooney and Peter Lorre. ()
- Sabotage – Free – Alfred Hitchcock directs this British thriller based on Joseph Conrad’s novel The Secret Agent. Also released as The Woman Alone. Alternative version here. ()
- Scarlet Street Free Directed by Fritz Lang with Edward G. Robinson. A film noir great. ()
- Secret Agent Free Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, this film was loosely based on stories by W. Somerset Maugham. Stars John Gielgud, Peter Lorre, Madeleine Carroll and Robert Young. ()
- Seven Sinners Free British thriller film directed by Albert de Courville and starring Edmund Lowe, Constance Cummings and Felix Aylmer. ()
- Shed No Tears Free Until recently, this film starring Wallace Ford and June Vincent was nearly impossible to find. Now its online thanks to Archive.org. ()
- Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon Free Sherlock Holmes rescues an inventor of an new bomb site before the Nazis can get him. ()
- Shock Free –This film noir tells the story of psychiatrist Dr. Cross (Vincent Price), who is treating Janet Stewart (Anabel Shaw), a young woman who is in a catatonic state. The coma was brought on when she heard loud arguing, went to her window, and saw a man strike his wife with a candlestick and kill her. ()
- Silent Night, Bloody Night Free An under-rated horror/slasher/mystery film starring Patrick ONeal, Mary Woronov, and John Carradine that has fallen into the public domain. ()
- Strange Illusion Free B-movie update of “Hamlet” has troubled teen Jimmy Lydon doubting smooth-talker Warren Williams who is wooing his mother. ()
- Suddenly Free Noir film with Frank Sinatra and James Gleason. ()
- Swamp Women Free One of Roger Cormans first films. A crime/horror film that follows undercover police officer Lee Hampton who joins three female convicts and escapes from prison. ()
- The 39 Steps Free One of Alfred Hitchcocks first hits. British thriller is based on novel with same name by John Buchan. ()
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Free The film is adapted from the play “Sherlock Holmes” by William Gillette, and stars Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Ida Lupino, George Zucco and Alan Marshal. ()
- The Amazing Mr. X Free Noir film directed by Bernard Vorhaus with cinematography by John Alton. The film tells the story of a phony spiritualist racket. ().
- The Big Combo Free Directed by Joseph Lewis, this film is today considered a noir classic. Critics like to focus on the cinematography of John Alton, a noir icon. ()
- The Capture Free Lew Ayres is an oil man who guns down a thief who may have been innocent. ()
- The Chase Free An American noir film directed by Arthur Ripley, based on the Cornell Woolrich novel The Black Path of Fear. ()
- The Driller Killer Free Abel Ferraras cult classic slasher film. ()
- The File on Thelma Jordan Free This noir directed by Robert Siodmak features Barbara Stanwyck and Wendell Corey. At the time Variety said, “Thelma Jordon unfolds as an interesting, femme-slanted melodrama, told with a lot of restrained excitement.” ()
- The Great Flamarion Free Vaudeville star Erich von Stroheim entangled with married assistant. Directed by Anthony Mann. ()
- The Green Glove Free A World War II veteran in France, played by Glen Ford, gets mixed up in murder while investigating a stolen treasure. Directed by Rudolph Maté. Alternate version here. ()
- The Hoodlum Free Lawrence Tierney (“Reservoir Dogs”) plays an unreformed, hardened criminal who has just been released from prison. While working at his brothers gas station, he becomes very interested in the armored car that makes regular stops at the bank across the street. ()
- The Hitch-Hiker Free The first noir film made by a female director, Ida Lupino. ()
- The House on Haunted Hill Free Vincent Price gives a stellar performance as the suavely malevolent host of a “haunted house party.” ()
- The Image Free A short horror film that happened to be the first film that David Bowie starred in. ()
- The Intruder Free Directed by Roger Corman, the film is based on a novel by Charles Beaumont and stars William Shatner. ()
- The Kennel Murder Case Free Notes Roger Ebert, “Film historians such as William K. Everson, who pronounced The Kennel Murder Case a “masterpiece” (in the August issue of Films in Review), consider it one of the greatest screen adaptations of a Golden Age mystery novel. ()
- The Limping Man Free Stars Lloyd Bridges and Moira Lister. A WWII veteran goes back to England after the war only to discover that his wartime sweetheart has got mixed up with a dangerous spy ring. ()
- The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog Free One of Hitchcock’s silent classics. A landlady suspects her lodger is a murderer killing women around London. Its said that this is Hitchcocks first “Hitchcockian” film. ()
- The Man Who Cheated Himself – Free – Some call it “an under-appreciated and little known gem.” Stars Lee J. Cobb, John Dall, Jane Wyatt, and Lisa Howard. YouTube version here. ()
- The Naked Kiss Free Constance Towers is a prostitute trying to start new in a small town. Directed by Sam Fuller. ()
- The Pearl of Death Free Directed by Roy William Neill, the film is based on characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It stars Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, and Dennis Hoey. ()
- The Pleasure Garden Free After several collaborative efforts, Hitchcock made his solo directorial debut in the German-British co-production based on a novel by Oliver Sandys.
- The Red House Free A noir psychological thriller starring Edward G. Robinson. Heres the gist of the plot: “An old man and his sister are concealing a terrible secret from their adopted teen daughter, concerning a hidden abandon farmhouse, located deep in the woods.” ()
- The Second Woman Free – Directed by James Kern and starring Betsy Drake, this lesser known noir film gets some good reviews. ()
- The Skin Game Free A Hitchcock film based on a play by John Galsworthy recounts the tragic tale of a family feud. ()
- The Strange Love of Martha Ivers Free Noir film starting Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin and Kirk Douglas. Entered into Cannes Film Festival. ()
- The Strange Woman Free Edgar G. Ulmers femme fatale film starring Hedy Lamarr. ()
- The Terror Free With Jack Nicholson & Boris Karloff, and partly shot by Francis Ford Coppola. Movie is at bottom of the linked page. ()
- The Time of Your Life Free Adapted from the William Saroyan play of the same title (the play won the Pulitzer Prize), the film stars James Cagney and William Bendix. ()
- The Thirteenth Guest Free A pre-code mystery comedy thriller film with Ginger Rogers, based on the novel by crime fiction writer Armitage Trail, also author of the novel Scarface. ()
- They Made Me a Criminal Free Boxer John Garfield flees believing he has committed a murder while he was drunk. Pursued by Claude Rains, he meets up with the Dead End Kids. ()
- Time Table Free After the theft of $, in a carefully executed train robbery, an insurance investigator (Mark Stevens, who also doubled as director and producer) is forced to cancel a planned vacation with his wife to assist a railroad detective in identifying the culprits and recovering the money. Alternate version here. ()
- Too Late for Tears Free Directed by Byron Haskin and based on a novel by Roy Huggins, Too Late for Tears is pure noir. ()
- Topper Returns Free A sassy girl finds herself dead after trading bedrooms with her heiress friend. Her ghost seeks aid from banker Cosmo Topper to find out why and by whom. Joan Blondell, Roland Young, Carole Landis. ()
- Tormented Free A man lets a former flame fall to her death rather than let her interfere with his new relationship, but her ghost returns to disrupt his impending nuptials. ()
- Trapped Free – Starring Lloyd Bridges and Barbara Payton, the plot of this B noir film turns around a counterfeiting ring. ()
- Vampyr Free This horror film was Carl Theodor Dreyers follow-up to The Passion of Joan of Arc, and his first “talkie.” ()
- Waltzes From Vienna Free Alfred Hitchcock told Francois Truffaut that this film (about the writing and performance of The Blue Danube) was the low point of his film career. ()
- Whistle Stop Free A noir flic with Ava Gardner. ()
- White Zombie Free Pre-Code horror film directed by Victor and Edward Halperin. Béla Lugosi stars as the antagonist, Murder Legendre, with Madge Bellamy appearing as his victim. ()
- Woman on the Run Free – After Frank Johnson (Ross Elliott) is the sole witness to a gangland murder, he goes into hiding and is trailed by Police Inspector Ferris (Robert Keith), his wife, Eleanor (Ann Sheridan), and newspaperman, Danny Leggett (Dennis O’Keefe).
- Young and Innocent Free Originally released in the US as The Girl Was Young, this Alfred Hitchcock film was based on Josephine Tey’s novel A Shilling for Candles. ()
Find a complete collection of Film Noir movies here and Alfred Hitchcock movies here.
Free Kung Fu & Martial Arts Films
- Black Fist Free To make money, a Los Angeles street-fighter goes to work for gangsters. ()
- Blood on the Sun Free Starring James Cagney and Sylvia Sidney, the film is based on a fictional history behind the Tanaka Memorial document. Won the Academy Award for Best Art Direction for a Black & White film. ()
- Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave Free Bruceploitation movie starring Bruce Lee impersonator and tae kwon do instructor Jun Chong (using the name Bruce K.L. Lea). ()
- Bruce Lee the Invincible Free Bruce Li with his master goes to Singapore to stop a kung-fu master named Cheng. ()
- Four Robbers Free Cheap Hong Kong action film which rides the late 80s heroic bloodshed wave and, says kungfumovieguide.com “rips off (mainly) films like A Better Tomorrow and City on Fire, only without any of the same quality.” ()
- Guy With Secret Kung Fu Free Two brothers put their kung fu skills to the test and do battle with dishonest judges, powerful warlords, and giant zombies, all in the name of ending the oppression of the Ching Dynasty. ()
- Hands of Death Free A gang has been smuggling high amounts of opium throughout the world and the authorities have lost their undercover agent. ()
- Heroes of Shaolin Free Directed by William Chang. Like many kung fu movies from the late s, the main theme of the film focuses on revenge.
- Heroes of Shaolin 2 Free The sequel to the film above.
- La Dialectique Peut-Elle Casser Des Briques? (Can Dialectics Break Bricks?) Free A French Situationist film produced by René Viénet which explores the development of class conflict through revolutionary agitation against a backdrop of graphic kung-fu fighting. ()
- Lady Whirlwind Free Sometimes called Deep Thrust. Heres the plot: Tien arrives in town looking to exact revenge on Ling for abandoning her pregnant sister and thus driving the sister to commit suicide. Although Tien agrees to help Ling take down the leader of a local gambling syndicate, she nonetheless still plans to avenge her sisters death which she holds Ling responsible for. ()
- Legend of the Eight Samurai Free A Japanese historical martial arts fantasy film starring Sonny Chiba and directed by Kinji Fukasaku. The script is adapted from a novel Shin Satomi Hakkenden by Toshio Kamata, a loose reworking of the epic serial Nansō Satomi Hakkenden by Kyokutei Bakin. ()
- Master of the Flying Guillotine Free A Taiwanese wuxia film starring Jimmy Wang Yu, who also wrote and directed the film. It is a sequel to Wangs film One Armed Boxer, and thus the film is also known as One-Armed Boxer 2. ()
- Ninja Death Trilogy Free The entire Ninja Death Trilogy. Four hours of non stop action. ()
- Return of Kung Fu Dragon Free Sonny Chiba stars again as the deadly martial arts mercenary Takuma Tsurugi in a movie where he must battle against the Yakuza because of a deal gone bad. ()
- Return of the Street Fighter Free Takuma “Terry” Tsurugi returns. In this sequel to The Street Fighter, he sets out to bust up a phony charity put together by the Yukuza. ()
- Shaolin Temple Free Otherwise called Death Chambers, it is one of the Shaolin Temple-themed martial arts films and concerns their rebellion against the Qings. Stars David Chiang, Ti Lung, and Fu Sheng. ()
- Sister Streetfighter Free Classic grindhouse karate film starring Sue Shihomi. ()
- Spirits of Bruce Lee Free Richard Lee rescues a young Thai boxer on his way to Wansen which is a small town with strange customs.
- The Big Fight Free The Japanese oppress the Chinese during WW-2, until resistance breaks out. Stars Tien Peng, Yee Yuen, Cheung Ching Ching, and Blacky Ko. ()
- The Brave Lion Free During Japans invasion of China during WWII two disgraced Japanese soldiers who can speak Chinese are given a second chance. They face execution but are reprieved to go on a special assignment to run a Chinese labor camp the Japanese operate. They work the prisoners so hard they rise up against them. ()
- The Image of Bruce Lee Free 70s action film about Bruce Li as a special agent who teams with a Hong Kong police officer to crack a smuggling ring. Apart from the title, the only thing this film has to do with Bruce Lee is when someone tells the Bruce Li character that he resembles Lee. ()
- The Real Bruce Lee Free This martial arts documentary begins with a brief biography of Bruce Lee, and shows scenes from four of his childhood films, Bad Boy, Orphan Sam, Kid Cheung, and The Carnival, each sepia-toned and dubbed to English. ()
- The Street Fighter Free One of Quentin Tarantinos favorite karate films, and 13# on his list of 20 great Grindhouse films. Starring Sonny Chiba, the film was the first to get an X rating for violence. ()
- The Street Fighters Last Revenge Free A martial arts film and the third in a series starting with The Street Fighter starring Sonny Chiba. ()
- TNT Jackson Free A young karate expert searches for her brothers killer in Hong Kong. ()
- Angel and the Badman Free A black and white Western starring John Wayne and Gail Russell. Considered a radical departure from the Western genre at the time. Find Internet Archive version here. ()
- Billy the Kid Wanted Free Billy the Kid (Buster Crabbe) and his pal Jeff (Dave OBrien) help their friend Fuzzy Jones (Al St. John) escape from jail, and the trio heads for Paradise Valley, where they find the Paradise Land Development Company, ran by Matt Brawley (Glenn Strange) and Jack Saunders (Charles King), ()
- Blue Steel Free Western film with John Wayne playing a U.S. Marshal trying to capture the Polka Dot Bandit. Some consider it the best of the Wayne Lone Star films. Alternative version on YouTube here. ()
- Born to the West Free Can Dare Rudd prove he is responsible enough to win the heart of Judy and also outwit the crooked saloon owner? Stars John Wayne, Marsha Hunt and John Mack Brown. ()
- Death Rides a Horse Free Giulio Petronis top spaghetti western. ()
- Frontier Horizon Free The Three Mesqueteers attempt to prevent wholesale slaughter in this fine Republic Western starring John Wayne, Ray “Crash” Corrigan, and Raymond Hatton. ()
- Gone with the West Free James Caan, Stefanie Powers and Sammy Davis Jr. in western.
- Helltown Free Originally called Born to the West, this John Wayne western was based on a novel by Zane Grey. ()
- High Lonesome Free A drifter (John Drew Barrymore) is suspected of murder, when the real murderers are two men who everybody thinks are dead. This movie was filmed back to back with “The Sundowners” on the same set. ()
- Joshua Free A black soldier returns from fighting in the Civil War only to find out that his mother has been murdered by a gang of white thugs. He becomes a bounty hunter, determined to exact revenge. Directed by Larry G. Spangler, stars Larry Williamson. ()
- Law of the Rio Grande Free Directed by Forrest Sheldon, the film is about Jim and Cookie. Escaping from the Sheriff, they decide to go straight. But when they meet their old cohort, The Blanco Kid, he tells their new boss they are outlaws and they are in big trouble again. ()
- McLintock! Free Comedy Western starring John Wayne & Maureen OHara. Loosely based on Shakespeares The Taming of the Shrew. ()
- Neath the Arizona Skies Free John Wayne plays a cowboy protecting an American Indian oil-land heiress. ()
- One Eyed Jacks Free The only film directed by Marlon Brando. He also plays its lead character, Rio. ()
- Paradise Canyon Free Western starring John Wayne. Features Wayne as government agent John Wyatt searching for a counterfeit ring operating on the Mexican/Arizona border. ()
- Rainbow Valley Free John Martin (John Wayne) is a government agent working under cover. Leading citizen Morgan calls in gunman Butch Galt (Buffalo Bill Jr.) who blows Martins cover. Find YouTube version here. ()
- Randy Rides Alone Free Jailed for murders he didnt commit, Randy Bowers (John Wayne) escapes only to stumble into the den of the real murderers. Entertaining early Wayne film. ()
- Rawhide Free A short western implausibly starring the Yankee legend, Lou Gehrig. ()
- Riders of Destiny Free John Wayne portrays Singin Sandy Saunders and has a reputation as the most notorious gunman since Billy the Kid. Features Wayne in singing role. ()
- Sagebrush Trail Free John Wayne plays John Brant who escapes from jail after being wrongly accused of murder. Features great stagecoach chase. ()
- Santa Fe Trail Free Western film directed by Michael Curtiz (also directed Casablanca) and starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and Ronald Reagan. ().
- Seven Alone Free A frontier family with seven children heads West on the Oregon Trail. When both of their parents die, they decide to push on alone. Stars Dewey Martin and Aldo Ray. ()
- Song of Arizona Free Stars Roy Rogers. Directed by Frank McDonald. “Gabbys ranch for wayward boys is in financial trouble. One of his boys, Chip is hiding stolen money sent by his father the outlaw leader King Blaine. After Blaine is killed, Chip decides to pay off Gabbys debt with this money, but trouble arises when the remaining gang members arrive looking for the loot.”
- Texas Terror Free A young John Wayne in a romantic western. ()
- The American West of John Ford Free A documentary encapsulating the career and Western films of director John Ford, featuring interviews with John Wayne, James Stewart and Henry Fonda. ()
- The Dawn Rider Free John Wayne plays John Mason, a man avenging his fathers murder. A western directed by Robert Bradbury. ()
- The Desert Trail Free Early Western with John Wayne. According toWesternClippings, not Wayne’s finest hour. ()
- The Great Train Robbery Free Early western film by Edwin S. Porter. A landmark in narrative filmmaking ()
- The Lawless Frontier Free B Western starring John Wayne and directed by Robert Bradbury. ()
- The Lucky Texan Free Jerry Mason (played by John Wayne) and Jake Benson become partners and strike it rich with a gold mine. () They then find their lives complicated by bad guys and a woman. ()
- The Man From Utah Free The Marshal sends John Weston (John Wayne) to a rodeo to see if he can find out who is killing the rodeo riders who are about to win prize money. ()
- The Outlaw Free The American Western story of Billy the Kid, Doc Holliday, and Pat Garrett, directed by Howard Hughes, and debuting Jane Russell in her first movie role. ()
- The Range Feud Free Clint Turner is arrested for the murder of his girlfriend Judys father, a rival rancher who was an enemy of his own father. Stars John Wayne and Buck Jones. ()
- The San Antonio Kid Free Directed by Howard Bretherton, the film is about a geologist who has found oil on the neighboring ranches and teams up with Ace who has his gang create a reign of terror to get the ranchers to sell out.
- The Star Packer Free A gang working for “The Shadow” is terrorizing the town. John Travers (John Wayne) decides to take on the job of sheriff and do something about it. ()
- The Trail Beyond Free Western starring John Wayne, Noah Beery, Sr., and Noah Beery, Jr. ()
- The Young Land Free Dennis Hopper stars in a Western shot in
- Two Fisted Law Free After Rob Russell steals Tim Clarks ranch, Clark starts prospecting for silver. Stars John Wayne and Tim McCoy. ()
- Vengeance Valley Free American Western film starring Burt Lancaster, based on the novel by Luke Short. ()
- War of the Wildcats Free John Wayne stars in western otherwise called In Old Oklahoma. One of Waynes better post-Stagecoach performances. ()
- West of the Divide Free A young John Wayne in B western. ()
- Winds of the Wasteland Free The arrival of the telegraph put Pony Express riders like John Blair (John Wayne) and his pal Smoky (Lane Chandler) out of work they try to start a stagecoach route through a ghost town. A rival stagecoach company tries to stop them. ()
Find a complete collection of John Wayne films here.
Free Silent Films
- 20 Buster Keaton Films Free An assortment of films from one of the founding fathers of visual comedy.
- 60 Free Charlie Chaplin Films Free An assortment of films from one of the most prolific actors and filmmakers of early cinema.
- Abraham Lincoln Free DW Griffiths biography of the beloved United States president.
- A Burlesque On Carmen Free Original two-reel parody of Bizets Carmen by Charlie Chaplin. Also stars Leo White & Edna Purviance. ()
- A Busy Day Free Charlie Chaplin plays a wife jealous of her husbands interest in another woman, played by Phyllis Allen. ()
- A Christmas Carol Free Marc McDermott stars as Ebenezer Scrooge in this version of Dickens classic ghost story.
- A Days Pleasure Free “Chaplins fourth film for First National Films. It was created at the Chaplin Studio. It was a quickly made two-reeler to help fill a gap while working on his first feature The Kid. It is about a day outing with his wife and the kids and things dont go smoothly.” ()
- A Dogs Life Free This endearing short Charlie Chaplin film tells the story of underdogs, human and canine, succeeding despite the odds. ()
- A Fair Exchange Free Originally released as Getting Acquainted, the films plot has been summarized as follows: “Charlie and his wife are walking in the park when they encounter Ambrose and his wife. The partners become fond of their counterparts and begin chasing each other around. A policeman looking for a professional Don Juan becomes involved, as does a Turk.” ()
- A Film Johnnie Free Charlie goes to the movie and falls in love with a girl on the screen. ()
- A Man with a Camera Free Dziga Vertovs experimental film about life as it is lived. A Sight and Sound magazine poll named it the 8th best movie ever made. ()
- A Night in the Show Free Charlie Chaplin played two roles: one as Mr. Pest and one as Mr. Rowdy. The film was created from Chaplins stage work from a play called Mumming Birds. ()
- A Page of Madness(Kuretta Ippei) Free This film directed by Teinosuke Kinugasa and written by Nobel Prize winter Yasunari Kawabata is one of the great landmarks of Japanese silent cinema. ()
- A Sixth Part Of The World Free Using a travelogue format, Dziga Vertovs film depicts the multitude of Soviet peoples in remote areas of the USSR. ()
- A Woman Free This Chaplin film starts with Charlie meeting Edna (Edna Purviance) and her parents in a park; the mother is played by Marta Golden and the father by Charles Insley. ()
- Aelita Free A silent film directed by Soviet filmmaker Yakov Protazanov. One of the earliest full-length films about space travel, the most notable part of the film remains its remarkable constructivist Martian sets and costumes designed by Aleksandra Ekster. ()
- After the Ball Free One of the first “adult” films in cinema history. By the pioneering director Georges Méliès.
- Alice in Wonderland Free The first-ever film version of Lewis Carrolls tale. Based on Sir John Tenniels original illustrations. ()
- Alice in Wonderland Free Silent adaptation of Lewis Carrolls classic, directed and written by W.W. Young. ()
- Anémic Cinéma Free Marcel Duchamps avant-garde film combines whirling optical illusions, known as Rotoreliefs, with spiraling puns and complex word play. ()
- Battleship Potemkin Free Directed by the great Russian director, Sergei Eisenstein. One of the most influential propaganda films of all time. Alternative version here. ()
- Behind the Screen Free A short film written and directed by Charlie Chaplin, the film is long on slapstick, but it also gets into themes dealing with gender bending and homosexuality. ()
- Between Showers Free A short Keystone film from starring Charlie Chaplin, Ford Sterling, and Emma Bell Clifton.
- Broken Blossoms Free Silent film directed by D.W. Griffith and starring Lillian Gish. ()
- Charlie Shanghaied Free Charlie Chaplin and his Tramp character gets shanghaied by crooks. ()
- Charlies Recreation Free Out of costume, Charlie is a clean-shaven dandy who, somewhat drunk, visits a dance hall. There the wardrobe girl has three rival admirers: the band leader, one of the musicians, and now Charlie. ()
- Cinderella Free This film by George Méliès is the oldest known film adaptation of the fairy tale. It was also apparently the first movie to use a “dissolve transition” between scenes. ()
- Das Wandernde Bild Free A silent, black and white film directed by Fritz Lang released in
- Der Golum Free Paul Wegeners German expressionist classic, says Roger Ebert, “is a vivid piece of darkly toned fantasy that exerted a powerful influence over both European cinema and Hollywood.” ()
- Die Nibelungen Free A series of two silent fantasy films created by Fritz Lang in Runs 5 hours.
- Don Quixote Free Classic adaptation of the Miguel de Cervantes novel (find in our collection of Free eBooks), directed by Georg Wilhelm Pabst, and starring the famous operatic bass Feodor Chaliapin. ()
- Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde Free Horror film based on Robert Louis Stevensons novella Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. ()
- Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde Free John Barrymore stars in the renowned silent adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson classic. ()
- Edgar Allan Poe Free The first biopic of Poe, shot by D.W. Griffith. Shows Poe writing The Raven. ()
- Earth Free The third installment in Alexander Dovzhenko’s “Ukraine Trilogy,” Earth is considered a masterpiece in early Soviet cinema, and one of the greatest silent films of all time. ()
- Easy Street Free Charlie Chaplin steps forward and keeps the peace. ()
- Easy Virtue Free Early silent film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Loosely based on a play by Noël Coward. ()
- Emak-Bakia Free Features filming techniques used by Man Ray, including rayographs, double exposures, soft focus and ambiguous features. ()
- Entr’Acte Free René Clair’s dadaist masterpiece. Features scenes of Marcel Duchamp and Man Ray. ()
- Faust Free German expressionist filmmaker F.W. Murnau directs film version of Goethes classic tale. This was Murnaus last German movie. ()
- Frankenstein Free The first time Mary Shelleys literary was brought to the big screen. ()
- Ghosts Before Breakfast(Vormittagsspuk) Free Silent avant-garde film by Hans Richter. The nazis destroyed the sound version of the film, deeming it “degenerate art.” ()
- Greed Free Erich von Stroheim’s silent drama originally ran 10 hours, but was eventually hacked down to two. It follows a dentist whose wife wins a lottery ticket, only to become obsessed with money. ()
- Harakiri Free Early silent film by Fritz Lang. ()
- Häxan Free Swedish/Danish silent horror film written and directed by Benjamin Christensen. ()
- Hell W10 Free The Clash stars in s gangster parody. Written and directed by Joe Strummer. ()
- Intolerance Free D.W. Griffiths most ambitious silent film is one of the landmarks in cinematic history. ()
- Kino Eye Free Dziga Vertov’s first documentary not made from found footage. Shows the joys of life in a Soviet village centers around the activities of the Young Pioneers. ()
- La Souriante Madame Beudet Free Early feminist film by Germaine Dulac. Features a woman trapped in a loveless marriage. ()
- LInferno Free Italys first feature film, and some say still the best adaptation of Dantes classic work. ()
- Joyless Street Free Greta Garbo stars in her second major role. One of the first films of the “New Objectivity” movement. ()
- Kid Auto Races at Venice Free Its the first film in which Charlie Chaplins iconic “Little Tramp” character makes his appearance. ()
- LArrivée Dun Train En Gare De La Ciotat Free One of the most famous early silent films shot by Auguste and Louis Lumière. ()
- La Passion de Jeanne dArc Free Directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer and starring Renée Jeanne Falconetti, this film is considered a masterpiece from the silent era. Find an alternate version on Archive.org here. ()
- Laughing Gas Free Film starring Chaplin is sometimes known as ”Busy Little Dentist”, “Down and Out”, “Laffing Gas”, “The Dentist”, and “Tuning His Ivories”.
- Le Ballet Mécanique Free Historic cinematic collaboration between Fernand Legér and George Antheil. ()
- Le Retour à la Raison Free A film from the avant-garde Cinéma Pur movement shot by Man Ray in
- Lime Club Field Day Free One of the earliest surviving feature films with an all black cast ()
- Mabels Strange Predicament Free Watch lots of lots of high jinks go down in a hotel. ()
- Making a Living Free Premiering on February 2, , Making a Living marks the first film appearance by Charlie Chaplin.
- Manhatta Free A collaboration by photographer-painter Charles Sheeler and photographer Paul Strand, Manhatta made cinematic history as the first American avant-garde film. ()
- Menilmontant Free When Pauline Kael, longtime New Yorker film critic, was asked to name her favorite film, this was it. French silent film. ()
- Metropolis Free Fritz Lang’s fable of good and evil fighting it out in a futuristic urban dystopia. An important classic. An alternate version can be found here. ()
- Nerves Free Directed by Robert Reinert, Nerves tells of “the political disputes of an ultraconservative factory owner Herr Roloff and Teacher John, who feels a compulsive but secret love for Roloffs sister, a left-wing radical.” ()
- Nosferatu Free German Expressionist horror film directed by F. W. Murnau. An unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stokers Dracula. ()
- October: Ten Days That Shook the World Free Originally called Oktyabr, Sergei Eisensteins film documents the Russian Revolution of A masterpiece by a pioneering filmmaker. ()
- Old and New Free Also called The General Line, Sergei Eisensteins film has been called a “bucolic epic about the Soviet struggle to collectivize agricultural production.” ()
- One A.M. Free The first silent film Charlie Chaplin starred in alone. ()
- One Week Free The first film to be made by Buster Keaton on his own; Keaton had worked with Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle for a number of years. The film was written and directed by Keaton and Edward F. Cline, and runs for 19 minutes. Sybil Seely co-stars. Alternate version here. ()
- Pandoras Box Free G.W. Pabsts tragic melodrama about the fate of a carefree seductress, memorably played by Louise Brooks. ()
- Romance Sentimentale Free Directed by Sergei Eisenstein. () Alternate version here.
- Safety Last Free Starring Harold Lloyd, the film features one of the most iconic scenes from the silent film era: Lloyd “clutching the hands of a large clock as he dangles from the outside of a skyscraper above moving traffic.” ()
- Sherlock Jr. Free A comic masterpiece from the silent era. Stars Buster Keaton. ()
- Sherlock Holmes Baffled Free Watch the very first Sherlock Holmes movie. ()
- Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans Free Made by the German expressionist director F.W. Murnau. Voted in , the 5th greatest film of all time. ()
- The Adventurer Free Charlie Chaplin plays an escaped convict who falls into favor with a wealthy family after he saves a young lady. ()
- The Avenging Conscience Free Directed by D. W. Griffith, the film is based on the Edgar Allan Poe short story “The Tell-Tale Heart” and the poem “Annabel Lee.” Scroll down to the second video on the linked page. ()
- The Birth of a Nation Free Directed by DW Griffith. A landmark work in film history () with racist undertones. ()
- The Bond Free A propaganda film created and funded by Charlie Chaplin for theatrical release to help sell U.S. Liberty Bonds during World War I. ()
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Free This silent film directed by Robert Wiene is considered one of the most influential German Expressionist films and perhaps one of the greatest horror movies of all time. Watch the restored version. ()
- The Count Free The Count was Charlie Chaplins 5th film for Mutual Films. Co-starring Eric Campbell and Edna Purviance, it is a story about Charlie and his boss finding an invitation to a party from a real Count. ()
- The Cure Free Chaplin plays a drunk who checks into a health spa to dry out and comedy ensues. ()
- The Devilish Tenant Free In this Georges Méliès, a new tenant moves in and fills the room with furniture taken from his suitcase. ()
- The Eleventh Year Free Dziga Vertovs film celebrates “the tenth anniversary of the October Revolution” which, according to the Harvard Film Archive, presents that decade of socialism “in the eyes of a left-wing artist of the twenties” as “a radical social experiment [ … ] required to be presented in a radically experimental way.” ()
- The Fireman Free Charlie Chaplin’s second short for Mutual continued his focus on gags and situations—as the title suggests, Chaplin plays the role of an inept firefighter. ()
- The Floorwalker Free Filmed for the Mutual Film Corporation, the film featured the first “running staircase” in cinema history. ()
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Free Hugely popular silent film that made Rudolph Valentino a star. ()
- The Freshman Free Starring Harold Lloyd, this comedy film tells the story of a college freshman trying to become popular by joining the school football team. ()
- The General Free Orson Welles said that Buster Keatons The General is “the greatest comedy ever made, the greatest Civil War film ever made, and perhaps the greatest film ever made. Alternate version here ()
- The Gold Rush Free Charlie Chaplin wrote, produced, directed and starred in The Gold Rush. Chaplin repeatedly said that this is the film he most wanted to be remembered for. ()
- The Golem: How He Came Into the World Free A follow-up to Paul Wegeners earlier film, “The Golem,” about a monstrous creature brought to life by a learned rabbi to protect the Jews from persecution in medieval Prague. Based on the classic folk tale, and co-directed by Carl Boese. ()
- The Golem: How He Came Into the World Free The same film as the one listed immediately above, but this one has a score created by Pixies frontman Black Francis. ()
- The Good for Nothing Free Made at the Keystone Studios, the film involves Chaplin taking care of a man in a wheelchair. ()
- The Great Train Robbery Free Early western film by Edwin S. Porter. A landmark in narrative filmmaking. ()
- The Hearts of Age Free The first film/short film shot by Orson Welles. Its a play on Jean Cocteau’s movie, The Blood of a Poet. ()
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame Free With Lon Chaney. ()
- The Immigrant Free Charlie Chaplin plays an immigrant coming to the United States who gets accused of theft along the way. ()
- The Impossible Voyage Free -Directed by Georges Méliès, this film, based on a Jules Vernes play, is a satire of scientific exploration in which a group of geographers attempt a journey into the interior of the sun. ()
- The Lady and the Hooligan Free Russian silent film directed by and starring Vladimir Mayakovsky. His only surviving film. ()
- The Last Laugh Free F.W. Murnaus classic chamber drama about a hotel doorman who falls on hard times. A masterpiece of the silent era, the story is told almost entirely in pictures. Yale has more background on the film. ()
- The Little Match Girl Free a minute silent film by Jean Renoir based on a story by Hans Christian Andersen. ()
- The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog Free One of Hitchcock’s silent classics. A landlady suspects her lodger is a murderer killing women around London. ()
- The Lost World Free The “grandaddy of monster movies,” the film adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyles classic novel about a land where prehistoric creatures still roam. ()
- The Manor of the Devil(Le Manoir du Diable) Free Created by the film pioneer George Méliès, its considered the first horror film ever made. ()
- The Pawnshop Free Rich in slapstick, The Pawnshop was one of Chaplins more popular movies for Mutual Film, the producer of some of the greatest Chaplin comedies. ()
- The Phantom Carriage Free One of the central works in the history of Swedish cinema. Notable for its influence on Ingmar Bergman. Directed by Victor Sjöström, ()
- The Phantom of the Opera Free A classic silent film featuring Lon Chaney as the Phantom. ()
- The Pleasure Garden Free After several collaborative efforts, Hitchcock made his solo directorial debut in the German-British co-production based on a novel by Oliver Sandys. ()
- The Rink Free The Rink, Chaplins 8th film for Mutual Films, showcases the actors roller skating skills. ()
- The Sealed Room Free Directed by DW Griffith, the film is based on Edgar Allan Poes “A Cask of Amontillado“, with appearances by Mary Pickford and Mack Sennett. ()
- The Seashell and the Clergyman Free The first surrealist film ever. Directed by Germaine Dulac. ()
- The Sheik Free Silent film with Rudolph Valentino. ()
- The Smiling Madame Beudet Free A short silent by Germaine Dulac that also happens to hold the title of the first feminist film. ()
- The Story of the Kelly Gang Free An Australian film that traces the life of the legendary infamous outlaw and bushranger Ned Kelly. It was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register for being the worlds first full-length narrative feature film. ()
- The Student of Prague Free A classic of German expressionist film. German writer Hanns Heinz Ewers and Danish director Stellan Rye bring to life a 19th-century horror story. Some call it the first indie film. ()
- The Ten Commandments Free An epic silent film from directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and the first in DeMilles biblical trilogy, followed by The King of Kings () and The Sign of the Cross ().
- The Ten Commandments Free A version of the version with a new musical score by Steve Berlin (Los Lobos), Steven Drozd (Flaming Lips) & Scott Amendola. ()
- The Toll of the Sea Free The first general release film in technicolor. ()
- The Tramp Free The film made Chaplins great Tramp character famous. ()
- The Vagabond Free A silent film by Charlie Chaplin that co-starred Edna Purviance, Eric Campbell, Leo White and Lloyd Bacon, with Chaplin appearing as The Tramp. The British Film Institute calls it the “pivotal work” of his Mutual period – “and his most touching.” ()
- The Water Magician Free Japanese silent film. One of the most popular titles from the silent film work of Kenji Mizoguchi. ()
- The Wizard of Oz Free The earliest surviving film version of L. Frank Baums novel. ()
- The Wizard of Oz Free The first major film adaptation of the classic novel. Features Oliver Hardy as the Tin Woodsmen. ()
- Three Songs About Lenin Free Dziga Vertovs film is based on three admiring songs sung by anonymous people in Soviet Russia about Vladimir Ilyich Lenin. ()
- Tillies Punctured Romance Free Among other things, the film is notable for being the last Chaplin film didnt write or direct by himself. ()
- Trip to the Moon / Le Voyage dans la lune Free French black & white silent sci-fi film loosely based on two novels: From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne and The First Men in the Moon by H. G. Wells. ()
- Un Chien Andalou Free Salvador Dali and Louis Bunuels short, silent surrealist film. A restored version can be viewed here. ()
- 3, Free Films from the National Film Board of Canada Free The National Film Board of Canada has put online thousands of films, including a good number ofdocumentaries.
- Free Documentaries from Deutsche Welle Free The German public broadcaster makes available + documentaries covering many areas, including arts & culture.
- 10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki Free A four part documentary on the unstoppable Japanese animator directed by Kaku Arakawa. ()
- 15 Films by Designers Charles & Ray Eames Free Watch a series of short films by the iconic designers.
- 50 Architecture Documentaries Free A collection of free documentaries directed by Richard Copans on famous architects and buildings. Topics include Bauhaus, Le Corbusier, Zaha Hadid & more.
- A is for Architecture Free This short documentary offers a panorama of architecture, moving from one tradition to another, illustrating how each reflects the sentiments and values of its time. ()
- A Brief History of John Baldessari Free A short film narrated by Tom Waits on the life and work of West-Coast conceptual artist John Baldessari. ()
- A Communications Primer Free An instructional film on the basics of communication, created by Charles and Ray Eames of Eames Office for IBM. ()
- A Land Without Bread Free Ostensibly a documentary about the Las Hurdes region located in a remote corner of Spain, this Luis Buñuel’s film is in fact a lacerating parody of travel documentaries. ()
- A Look Behind the Future Free Intriguing documentary takes you inside the making of Kubricks A Space Odyssey and the thrilling technologies then in real-life development. ()
- A Man Among Men: Alberto Giacometti Free An hour-long documentary about Giacometti, by Jean-Marie Drot. ()
- A Necessary Ruin: The Story of Buckminster Fuller and the Union Tank Car Dome Free Tells the history of the Union Tank Car Dome, the largest clear-span structure in the world, based on the engineering principles of the visionary design scientist Buckminster Fuller. ()
- A Story of Healing Free Won Academy Award for best Documentary Short Subject. Follows a team of volunteers in Vietnam. ()
- A World of Art: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Free Founded in , the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is a three dimensional encyclopedia of art history. Filmed in
- Albert Einstein: How I See the World Free Documentary on physicist Albert Einstein which chronicles the experiences that lead him to become a great advocate for world peace. ()
- Aleister Crowley: The Wickedest Man in the World Free Takes you into the life of Aleister Crowley, an English occultist, ceremonial magician, poet, and mountaineer, responsible for founding the religion of Thelema.
- Albert Camus: The Madness of Sincerity Free About the life and work of writer Albert Camus, including interviews with his former mistresses and Camus daughter Catherine and her twin brother Jean. ()
- Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein Free Documentary on the two artists from
- Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye Free A revealing look at the “Father of American Photography.” Appeared in the PBS American Masters series. ()
- Andy Warhol: The Complete Picture Free A documentary covering the life and work of the most enigmatic and influential artist of the late twentieth century. ()
- Ansel Adams, Photographer Free Documentary reveals the artistic and technical approach of Ansel Adams, Americas finest photographer of natural landscapes. ()
- Ansel Adams: The Incisive Art Free Explores the work of one of America’s most famous photographers, Ansel Adams as he goes beneath the surface to record nature and the quality of humanity. ()
- Arduino: The Documentary Free Revisits a project launched in the Italian town of Ivrea back in The challenge? To develop cheap, easy-to-use electronics components for design students. ()
- At the Museum Free The Museum of Modern Art (aka MoMA) creates an 8-part documentary series on what it takes to run a world-class museum. ()
- Atheism: A Rough History of Disbelief Free A mini-series created by Jonathan Miller explores the history of atheism in the world. ()
- Audio Ammunition Free A series of short documentaries on The Clash and five of their classic studio albums. Produced by Google. ()
- Badiou Free The first feature-length film on France’s most famous living philosopher. ()
- Bauhaus World Free To commemorate the th anniversary of the founding of the Bauhaus school, this documentary explores the history and influence of Germany’s legendary art, architecture & design movement. ()
- Bob Marley Come A Long Way Free Documentary made for NZ tv show Good Day by Dylan Taite. ()
- Beat This!: A Hip-Hop History Free Originally part of the Arena television series, the TV doc was among the first crop of documentaries about hip-hop and hip-hop culture. ()
- Bed Peace Free 70 minute documentary revisits John and Yoko’s famous Bed-Ins, which amounted to a peaceful protest against the Vietnam War. ()
- Beautiful Equations Free Artist/writer Matt Collings takes the plunge into an alien world of equations, asking top scientists to help him understand five of the most famous equations in science. ()
- Benoit Mandelbrot: Father of Fractals Free In this final interview shot by filmmaker Erol Morris, Mandelbrot shares his love for mathematics and how it led him to his wondrous discovery of fractals. ()
- Black Coffee Free A three part look at “the world’s most widely taken legal drug,” a beverage whose intellectually intense die-hard enthusiasts give wine’s a run for their money, from historical, political, social, and economic angles. ()
- Blitzkrieg Bop Free Hour-long TV documentary takes an old school look at CBGB during the heyday. Features The Ramones, Blondie and The Dead Boys. Mixes live performance with short interview clips. ()
- Bob Geldof: The Moment Free In a short documentary by Errol Morris, Bob Geldof talks about the greatest day in his lifestepping on the stage of Live Aid and raising money to end the famine in Africa. ()
- Bowling for Columbine Free Through his YouTube channel, Michael Moore has made available his Academy Award winning documentary on guns & gun violence in America. ()
- Brian Eno: The Man Who Fell To Earth, Free Explores Enos life, career and music between those titular years—the period that some view as his golden age, and others as just one great era in a long and very eclectic career. ()
- Buckminster Fuller: Thinking Out Loud Free Documentary on the inventor/visionary/thinker R. Buckminster Fuller, produced and directed by four time Academy Award nominees Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon. ()
- Brussels Express Free Directed by Sander Vandenbroucke, this 20 minute film explores the risks of cycling in modern Brussels, one of the most congested cities in todays Europe. ()
- Caravaggio Free A documentary by Robert Hughes (circa )
- Chick Corea: Documentary of Legendary Jazz Great, Pianist and Composer Free Short documentary features Sting, Bobby McFerrin, Bela Fleck, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and more.
- Churchills Island Free WWII propaganda film chronicling the defense of Great Britain. Won the very first Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject. ()
- City Symphonies Free Watch “city symphonies” filmed in the s. These poetic, experimental documentaries present a portrait of the daily of cities like Berlin, Paris, Sao Paulo and New York.
- Code Rush Free Documentary following the lives of Netscape engineers in Silicon Valley. ()
- Colette Free year-old Colette Marin-Catherine confronts her past by visiting the German concentration camp Mittelbau-Dora where her brother was killed. Prepared to re-open old wounds, Marin-Catherine offers important lessons for us all. The film won the Academy Award for best documentary short in
- Confrontation: Paris, Free A documentary by Seymour Drescher (Professor in the Department of History at the University of Pittsburgh & former student of George Mosse), looks at the student and worker upheaval in France in May,
- Conversations with Myself Free Alan Watts walks in the mountains and talks about the limitations of technology and the problem of trying to keep track of an infinite universe with a single tracked mind. ()
- Creative Process: Norman McLaren Free This feature length documentary is a journey into Norman McLaren’s process of artistic creation. ()
- Cry Baby: The Pedal That Rocks the World Free Tells the story of the wah wah effect pedal, from its invention in to the present day. ()
- Curious About Cuba: The Great Museums of Havana Free This film shows a side of the island nation that we seldom hear about: her art, history, and culture. ()
- Cyberpunk Free Documentary introduces the culture of Cyberpunk. Features vintage footage of William Gibson & Timothy Leary ().
- David Bowie: Sound and Vision Free Takes you on a journey throug Bowies career. Features interviews with Bowie, Iman his wife, his musical contemporaries including Iggy Pop, Moby and Trent Reznor. ()
- David Bowie: The Story of Ziggy Stardust Free Film tells the story of how Bowie arrived at one of the most iconic creations in the history of pop music. The songs, the hairstyles, the fashion, etc. ()
- David Lynch on the History of Surrealist Cinema Free Pretty much what the title said. ()
- Day of the Dead Free Designers Charles and Ray Eames short portrait of the Mexican festival, Day of the Dead. ()
- Death Mills Free Billy Wilders documentary in German showing what Allies found when they liberated Nazi extermination camps. ()
- Degenerate Art Free Directed by David Grubin, this documentary explores the art exhibit under the Nazi regime, which featured modern art, or what the Nazis called Entartete Kunst or Degenerate Art. ()
- Diane Arbus: Masters of Photography Free The documentary created soon after the photographers death is based on interviews with those who knew her best. ()
- Discovering Electronic Music: Revised Free Directed by Bernard Wilets, the film explores this idea: “We live in an age of technology in which machines touch every part of our lives. It is not surprising that music has also been influenced by technology.” ()
- Dorothea Lange Part 1: Under The Trees Free Film explores the American documentary photographer and photojournalist, best known for her Depression-era work for the Farm Security Administration. View alternate version here. ()
- Dreams Are What We Wake Up From Free Documentary about Raymond Carver was directed by Daisy Goodwin and includes contributions from Richard Ford and Jay McInerney. ()
- Dream of Life Free Directed by Steven Sebring, the film offers an intimate portrait of poet, painter, musician and singer Patti Smith. ()
- Earthlings Free Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, and with a soundtrack provided by Moby, Earthlings “is a feature-length documentary about our absolute economic dependence on animals raised as pets, food, clothing, entertainment and for scientific research.” ()
- Einsteins Brain Free A strange documentary that follows Japanese scholar Kenji Sugimotos quest to find Einsteins brain. ()
- Eric Hobsbawm: The Consolations of History Free Anthony Wilks traces the connections between the events of Eric Hobsbawm’s life and the history he told, from his teenage years in Germany and his communist membership, to the jazz clubs of s Soho and the makings of New Labour
- Europe After the Rain Free Documentary on the two great art movements, Dada & Surrealism, created by the Arts Council of Great Britain. ()
- Everything How David Byrne and Brian Eno Make Music Together Free A short documentary on how David Byrne and Brian Eno make music together. By the late visual artist Hillman Curtis. ()
- Everything Is a Remix Free Kirby Ferguson’s 4-part video series explores the idea that “great art doesn’t come out of nowhere. Artists inevitably borrow from one another, drawing on past ideas and conventions, and then turn these materials into something beautiful and new.” ()
- Eye of the Pangolin Free The story of two men on a mission to share the wonder of all four species of African pangolin on camera for the first time ever. ()
- F. Scott Fitzgerald: Winter Dreams Free Peabody award-winning film chronicles the life of Fitzgerald, one of America’s greatest novelists, in images and ideas as lyrical and inventive as his prose. ()
- Fear and Loathing on the Road to Hollywood Free A look at “Gonzo journalist”, Hunter S. Thompson with his collaborator, British illustrator, Ralph Steadman. ()
- Fellini: A Director’s Notebook Free Federico Fellini introduces himself to America in experimental documentary aired on TV. ()
- Filming The Trial Free An unfinished making-of film by Orson Welles, made in , which focuses on the production of his film The Trial. ()
- First Orbit Free A real time recreation of Yuri Gagarins pioneering first orbit, shot entirely in space from on board the International Space Station. ()
- First Person Free In this TV series, Errol Morris brings his unrivalled talents to the small screen for a stylized series of intimate interviews with a unique and fascinating array of people. ()
- Flamenco at Free An Oscar winning documentary takes you inside a Flamenco dance class. The film is about dance as it is about life. ()
- Flâneur III Free An attempt at capturing the character of Paris by following the development of the citys different forms throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, in the spirit of the German philosopher Walter Benjamin. ()
- For Neda Free An HBO documentary on the life of Neda Agha-Soltan, the young woman gunned down during the crushing of Irans Green Revolution. ()
- Founding Fathers Free Documentary narrated by Public Enemy’s Chuck D presents the true history of hip hop.
- Fractals: The Colors of Infinity Free Arthur C. Clarke brings us inside the world of fractal geometry, David Gilmour provides the soundtrack. ()
- Frames of Reference Free “Directed by the pioneering UK documentarian Richard Leacock, Frames of Reference is a slick and surreal dive into physics fundamentals and, in particular, why everything is indeed relative.” ()
- Frank Zappa Free A Dutch documentary for VPRO Television, directed by Roelof Kiers ().
- From One Second to the Next Free German director Werner Herzog presents a harrowing 35 minute film on the dangers of texting while driving. ()
- Future Shock Free A short documentary based on a book written by futurist Alvin Toffler in Its narrated by Orson Welles. ()
- Gente del Po Free Michaelangelo Antonionis documentary short on the people of the Po valley. ()
- George Eastman House: Picture Perfect Free The urban estate of George Eastman, who made photographers of us all, is a treasure trove of photographs and one of the world’s premier film archives. ()
- Georges Bataille: À Perte de Vues Free Documentary on the subversive French philosopher Georges Bataille. ()
- Georgia O’Keeffe: A Life in Art Free A short documentary on the painter narrated by Gene Hackman.
- Giacometti Free An intimate look at Alberto Giacometti in his studio, making his iconic sculptures ()
- Glass Free Directed by Bert Haanstra, this short documentary about the glass industry won the Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject in ()
- Glenn Gould Off the Record and Glenn Gould On the Record-Free Wolf Koenig and Roman Kroitor made a pair of gorgeously shot documentaries about the Canadian pianist, giving viewers insight into his life and music. ()
- Great Lakes, Bad Lines Free The story of two Michigan adventurers and their mile, fossil-free journey across the Upper Peninsula along the route of Line 5 a year-old pipeline – that threatens our inland waters and Great Lakes. Brought to you by Patagonia, Founders, Moosejaw, and Cherry Republic. ()
- Haruki Murakami: In Search of this Elusive Writer Free Alan Yentob travels through Japan, from the midnight Tokyo of After Hours to the snowed-in Hokkaido of A Wild Sheep Chase, in a quest to find artifacts of the novelist’s imaginary world.
- Heavy Metal Parking Lot Free Filmed in at a Maryland concert arena parking lot before a heavy metal show, this hilarious documentary is an unvarnished anthropological study of American metalheads in their mid-80s glory. You can also see the followup, “Heavy Metal Parking Lot Alumni: Where Are They Now.” ()
- Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Decisive Moment Free minute film features a selection of Cartier-Bresson’s iconic photographs, along with rare commentary by the photographer himself. ()
- Henry Miller Asleep & Awake Free Tom Schillers 34 minute voyage into the world of Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn). ()
- History of the Leica Camera Free The film is in German, but its still great to watch.
- Hofmanns Potion Free A balanced look at the history of LSD by Canadian filmmaker Connie Littlefield. ()
- Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film Free Epic, part documentary chronicles the early history of cinema. ()
- Home Free Yann Arthus-Bertrands film that will make you look at our planet in a new way. ()
- Homemade American Music Free A history of rural southeastern traditional American music, as told and played by Mike Seeger and Alice Gerrard. ()
- How Buildings Learn Free Stewart Brand (creator of the iconic Whole Earth Catalog) created a 6-part series on architecture, with Brian Eno providing the music. ()
- How Walt Disney Cartoons Are Made Free Disneys in-house documentary walks you through the stages of Snow White‘s development. ()
- Human, All Too Human Free A three part documentary on the life & thought of Nietzsche, Heidegger and Sartre. ()
- I Signed the Petition Free A philosophical meditation on the decision to sign a petition asking Radiohead to boycott performing in Tel Aviv. Directed by Mahdi Fleifel. ()
- Idem Free A short film by David Lynch on the art of making lithographs. Shot at the Idem studio in Paris. ()
- If You Love This Planet Free Oscar-winning short film on the need for nuclear disarmament. ()
- Iggy Pop and the Stooges Free A documentary from the always good South Bank Show. ()
- Ill Find a Way Free Oscar-winning documentary presents Nadia, a 9-year-old girl with spina bifida. ()
- Images of a Visionary World Free Avant-garde author Henri Michaux creates film trying to demonstrate the experience of taking hallucinogenic drugs. ()
- In a Brilliant Light: Van Gogh in Arles Free This documentary covers Van Goghs stay in Arles where he completed over two hundred paintings and one hundred drawings. ()
- In Search of Moebius Free Documentary about Frenchman Jean Giraud, one of the most influential comic strip illustrators and authors of all time.
- In The Ocean – A Film About the Classical Avant Garde Free A documentary look at composers Philip Glass, Julia Wolfe, John Cage, Steve Reich, Elliott Carter and their contemporaries.
- Inside: Dr. Strangelove Free Interviews with cast members, critics, editors, producers and others associated with the picture reveal how this Cold War worst-case-scenario developed into something so very… Kubrickian.
- Inside the Rhapsody Free A short documentary on the making of Queen’s classic song, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ ()
- Jackson Pollock 51 Free – Short documentary by Hans Namuth features the abstract expressionist painter up close, painting on glass. ()
- Jacques Lacan Speaks Free The psychoanalyst gives a packed lecture at the Catholic University of Louvain in , followed by a probing interview. One of only 2 known appearances by Lacan on film. Shot by Belgian documentarian Francoise Wolff. ()
- Jazz Hot Free Django Reinhardt, violinist Stéphane Grappelli and their band the Quintette du Hot Club de France perform together in a short film designed to promote a UK tour. ()
- John Peels Record Box Free British documentary explores the most prized records in John Peels huge record collection, which he kept stored in a special box. ()
- Jorge Luis Borges: The Mirror Man Free Documentary on Argentinas most famous and beloved literary figure. ()
- Ladies and Gentlemen Mr. Leonard Cohen Free This Canadian documentary captures Leonard Cohen just as he was poised to begin his singer-songwriter career. ()
- Last Days at the Fillmore Free Documents the final days of Bill Grahams Fillmore West. ()
- Laughing and Not Being Normal Free A documentary about the feminist music producer, Grimes. ()
- Le dinosaure et le bébé, dialogue en huit parties entre Fritz Lang et Jean-Luc Godard Free A TV documentary featuring two great filmmakers (Jean-Luc Godard and Fritz Lang) in conversation. ()
- Le Noise Free Directed by Adam Vollick, this movie features a live performance of Neil Youngs album Le Noise. It was recorded at the studios of Daniel Lanois in LA. ()
- Life in a Day Free Film captures for future generations what it was like to be alive on the 24th of July, Executive produced by Ridley Scott and directed by Kevin Macdonald.
- Live at Pompeii Free David Gilmour makes his Live at Pompeii concert film free to watch online. ()
- Lost Kubrick: The Unfinished Films of Stanley Kubrick Free Narrated by Malcolm McDowell, this short documentary examines the films Stanley Kubrick developed but didnt live long enough to make. Features interviews given by Kubricks longtime producer Jan Harlan, Jack Nicholson, Sydney Pollack etc. ()
- Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown Free Named the Best Documentary at the Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival, the film revisits the life and writings of H.P. Lovecraft, the father of modern horror fiction. ()
- Manhatta Free A short documentary film directed by painter Charles Sheeler and photographer Paul Strand. Its considered Americas first avant-garde film. ()
- M.C. Escher: Adventures in Perception Free The first half of the film shows a lot of M.C. Eschers work accompanied by a dissonant score by Felix Visser. About halfway through, we see shots of Escher at work. ()
- Marcel Duchamp: Iconoclaste et Inoxydable Free Three- part, three-hour documentary with interviews about Marcel Duchamp, directed by Fabrice Maze. ()
- Mel Blanc: The Man of a Thousand Voices Free Documentary focuses on voice artist extraordinaire Mel Blanc. ()
- Meltdown: The Secret History of the Global Financial Collapse Free A 4 part look at the financial crisis by the CBC. ()
- Memory of the Camps Free An attempt to revive a World War II film meant to document the Holocaust. Hitchcock was involved with the original project. ()
- Metamorphose: M.C. Escher, Free Reveals the life and work of artist M.C. Escher. ()
- Michel Foucault: Beyond Good and Evil Free Documentary explores the controversial life and work of Michel Foucault. ()
- Mingus Free A close-up of bass player and composer Charlie Mingus as he and his five-year-old daughter await eviction by the City of New York. ()
- Muscle Shoals Free “A documentary that celebrates Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and the signature sound he developed in songs such as Ill Take You There, Brown Sugar, and When a Man Loves a Woman,'” according to IMDB. ()
- N is a Number Free Documentary directed by George Paul Csicsery about the life of mathematician Paul Erdős.
- Nanook of the North Free The first feature length documentary. Directed by Robert J. Flaherty, the film, focusing on an Inuit family living in the Arctic Circle, was one of the first films to be selected for historical preservation by the Library of Congress. ()
- Nazi VR Free A short documentary on how a virtual reality model of Auschwitz was created to successfully prosecute a German SS guard seven decades after WWII. ()
- Nico-Icon Free Focuses on Nico, renowned for her associations with artist Andy Warhol and the Velvet Underground. ()
- No Substitute for Victory Free Propaganda, Pro-Vietnam documentary hosted by John Wayne. ()
- No Maps for These Territories Free Brings you on a road trip and into the mind of cyberspace visionary William Gibson. ()
- November 22, Free In a short documentary, Errol Morris asks what we can and cannot know about the Kennedy assassination. ()
- One Way Street Free Explores the life and work of German Jewish critic and philosopher, Walter Benjamin. ()
- Operation Concrete (aka Opération béton) Free The first movie by Jean Luc Godard. Its a short documentary about the building of the dam. ()
- Our Hobby is Depeche Mode Free Jeremy Dellers and Nicholas Abrahams documentary on Depeche Mode fans. ()
- Paul Klee: The Silence of the Angel Free A visual journey into the work of a major painter of the 20th century by Michael Gaumnitz, an award-winning documentarian of artists and sculptors. ()
- Paul McCartney: Chaos & Creation at Abbey Road Free Sir Paul revisits the Beatles recording techniques and vintage instruments used by the band. ()
- Pen, Brush and Camera Free minute documentary about the life and work of Henri Cartier-Bresson, the photographer considered to be the father of photojournalism. ()
- Philosophy: A Guide to Happiness Free With Alain de Botton. A documentary series that shows how Nietzsche, Socrates and four other philosophers can change your life. ()
- Philosophy and the Matrix: Return to the Source Free Documentary looks at how The Matrix dealt with questions about religious revelation and authority, parapsychology, free will and determinism, and the nature of personal identity. ()
- Pickin & Trimmin Free Award-winning short documentary features bluegrass musicians in a down-home North Carolina barbershop. ()
- Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea Free Cult movie legend John Waters narrates an offbeat documentary on the accidental lake created in the desert of Southern California. ()
- Plastic Bag Free Werner Herzog narrates the existential journey of a plastic bag. Directed by Ramin Bahrani. ()
- Poor Kids Free Documentary explores what poverty means to children in America through the stories of three families. ()
- Portrait of an Artist: Jackson Pollock Free Documentary of the abstract expressionist artist narrated by Melvyn Bragg. ()
- Portrait Werner Herzog Free A German production directed by Herzog himself, Portrait Werner Herzog shows the director in his homeland, in Munich. ()
- Powers of Ten Free Famous short film depicts the relative scale of the Universe in factors of ten. Made by legendary designers Ray and Charles Eames. ()
- Profile of a Writer: Jorge Luis Borges Free Arena documentary the life and writings of Argentina’s favorite son, Jorge Luis Borges. ()
- Queen of Code Free Direct by Gillian Jacobs, this short doc looks at the life and career of Grace Hopper, who worked on the first computer and headed the team that created the first compiler. ()
- Ray Bradbury: Story of a Writer Free A half-hour television documentary about Ray Bradbury. ()
- Red Shirley Free Lou Reed’s short documentary on his fascinating year-old cousin. ()
- Report from the Aleutians Free John Huston, while a member of the U.S. Army Signal Corps in , creates an Academy Award winning documentary about the Armed Forces effort to prevent the fall of the Aleutian Islands to Japanese troops. ()
- Requiem for the American Dream
Watch Classic Movies Online Free!
A library of free to watch classic movies for you to enjoy on an organized user friendly website. All movies are available in the public domain due to copyright expiration.
More movies are added to the collection as copyrights expire. You can enjoy watching some of the most loved movies of all time from a variety of genres. Our mission is to create a library of the very best vintage movies accessible for everyone at anytime.
All movies in our library are collected, sorted and uploaded to our high speed media server so movies can be delivered to your device fast and without buffering. You can enjoy using our state of the art video player with in-built features such as:
- Full Screen.
- Pause / Play.
- Embed code allows you to embed the movie on your own website or blog.
- Easy share allows you to share a movie directly to your social media profile.
- Change movie speed.
- Resume from last viewed point.
- Go back 10 seconds.
- Volume controls.
Classic Free Movies is a website which means it will work on any browser. You dont need any extra software or app installed to watch any of the movies in the collection. All videos use standard MP4 encoding which is compatible with any desktop, tablet or mobile device.
Films online classic
Where to Watch Classic Movies Online: The 7 Best Sites and Services
There are a billion ways to watch movies online these days, but the vast majority of them focus on newer movies.
Thats cool, but what if youre a fan of older films? Sure, you can buy or rent them digitally, but what if youre not sure what you want to watch?
For a few years, FilmStruck was the best service for classic movie buffs, but that service has shut down.
The good news is there are still plenty of ways to get your classic movie fix, and some are surprisingly cheap or even free.
1. Criterion Channel
As the name suggests, the Criterion Channel is a digital streaming version of the Criterion Collection of films.
You wont find every single film in the collection here, but new movies do rotate in and out each month.
The selection is large however, and doesnt just include the films themselves but features around various movies and film in general. At $/month or $99/year, this is a major value for film buffs.
Related: The best Criterion Collection movies on HBO Max
2. Watch TCM
No, Im not just suggesting that you watch the Turner Classic Movies channel on your TV provider of choice.
Watch TCM is a TV Everywhere app that lets you sign in with your TV provider and then watch movies on demand at no extra cost.
The only downside of this service is that modern streaming cable replacements like Sling TV dont seem to be supported, so this is only for those with cable or satellite TV.
Related: The best classic black-and-white movies
Self-described as a service for movie lovers, the main emphasis of Fandor is on independent and foreign movies.
This includes several classic films as well, which make up a sizable portion of the more than 4, movies offered via the service.
This is one of the more affordable services on this list too, costing just $/month or $49/year.
If you have a library card, you need to be using Kanopy. This service works with libraries and universities throughout the US to provide streaming movies for members.
This includes a wide range of various films, but it includes a large library of classics.
Related: Classic movies that still hold up well today
You may know Archive.org at the home of the Wayback Machine, but as the name says, its an archive of various sorts of digital media. This includes a vast selection of public domain films.
If youre a fan of shorts from this time period, the Prelinger Archives are hosted here as well, with various educational and promotional short films to keep you busy for hours on end.
6. Netflix Classics
While the selection isnt what it used to be, you can still find some classic movies on Netflix. Depending on how you access the service, they can be difficult to find.
One of the easiest ways is to hop on to your computer and point your browser to the website, then select Classics from the genre selector.
Some of the movies youll find are newer than what I think of when I think of classics, but you may view this as a plus.
7. Hulu Classics
There was a time when Hulu was one of the best streaming services for classic movies, as it hosted much of the Criterion Collection.
Now that thats a separate service, you wont find many of them on Hulu any longer. That said, there are still a fair number of classic films available on the service.
If you subscribe to Starz, either as an add-on or as part of Hulu with Live TV, the number of classics available grows considerably.
Hulu offers a day free trial so you can watch all kinds of TV shows and movies. Cancel at any time without losing the rest of the trial. Start your free trial!
Don’t Forget About Discs
If youve got DVD copies of older films, dont just assume that a streaming version will look better.
In some cases, the streaming version wont look any better than your DVD copy, and it could even look worse. If you have a Blu-ray, it will almost certainly look better than streaming.
Are you just looking to watch movies once or are you building a collection? If youre putting together a collection, you may want to keep in mind:
Read next: Reasons to keep buying DVDs and Blu-ray discs
Together, they barely, but still penetrated the ass, expanding it for full sex. Natalya knew what to do and kneaded Vicki's ass with gentle girlish hands. Already three fingers could freely enter Vika, who herself was already substituting and waving her ass. Following her fingers into her stretched ass, Natasha decided to insert that very glass stopper with a bright crystal.
Vika probably wanted to feel her in herself, even when she saw her in Natasha, in the living room.
You will also like:
- Black sun vector
- Subaru of oakland
- Imperial walker lego
- Number name worksheets
- Morris bart wife
- 101 hawaiian bbq
- Mens minimalist bedroom
- Unlocking us cellular
- 1920s feather headbands
- All hands magazine
- Perseverance clip art
- Sony car speakers
I hold your hips and forcefully move towards the incoming member. I want more. I abruptly stop you, lift, unfold your hips, forcing you to sit with your back to me. You arch your back to make it easier for me to enter you. I drive the hard head of the penis through your crack, along the elastic hole and back.